The free ride is over

This Sucks!...............There is no such thing as freedom anymore.........when will it stop. As it is now, I'm being told what I have to wear while in my car, every time I go out in public, I'm under survellince to monitor if I'm engaged in terrorist activity. My private records are no longer private. It is now legal for the Govt. to tap my phone. Now I'm being told what I can or can not send or receive through the internet.........well, I guess I better enjoy these last few days of my fading-fast freedom before I'm locked up for sharing an idea or thought.

U.S. copyright laws allow for damages of $750 to $150,000 for each song offered illegally on a person's computer,

that puts me at over 150 million :D i would like to see them try and collect it.

For those who share music.....BRAVO, and more power to you.

My cousin owns a dance studio. She has to pay the music companies yearly fees for use of the music because she "profits from it's use".

Let me get this straight: She teaches about 250 students, mostly young girls (including mine). She chooses the music the girls dance to. The girls most likely go out and buy the music so they can practice at home (like I did). Most of those will play and practice with friends who are not students, therefore exposing them to the music (like mine does). At the end of the year, they rent an auditorium and play this music, for free, to THOUSANDS of family and friends.

Long story short, my cousin chooses the music that is heard by THOUSANDS of potential customers. In my book, the music industry should PAY HER to choose their music.

They are a bunch of rotten theives. Go ahead, share the music. They owe us.

My school's on campus network has approximately 5 TB of shared songs...that around 5000 GB, damn wouldn't they have quite a bit of spending money with that. If an average song is about 4-5MB, they'd get close to a trillion dollars from this campus alone. :D

they won't be able to sue people like they plan...it's almost impossible to pinpoint a certain individual especially if you are on a dial up connection where your ip address constantly changes everytime you dial up...and in my case i am on a cable connection using a router/firewall setup where i can set my ip to whatever i want...these people really think they can catch internet users from sharing music...ha! bring it on i will be armed and ready to battle these so called hackers....:rolleyes:

It should be real interesting to bring a 10 year old to court for sharing the latest crappy tune.

Nick

Firewalls?? How do other Kazaa users get music off your computer if you have a firewall? Same thing with the spyware that installed with Kazaa, won't a firewall prevent anyone from seeing what is on your computer?

I remember our car club being hassled by some outfit about playing music at our cruise nights. They wanted royalties on any song we played. Wasn't the RIAA though, some other group. ASCAP, I think.

This is a great age for music now.

RIAA is dieing and it knows it and I am glad to see it for one.

Its time to get back to music for the reason of music not music to make lots of money! If you want to be a muscian soon you will do it for that reason alone not money, as there wont be to much money avalible to do it.

Devil's advocate

You know what you get for nothing don't 'ya................................

I don't know they can track this stuff when it is second and third hand? Drew

I can understand why they are trying to crack down on this. The music business is just that, a business. They make music in order to make money. I'm not saying a agree, or disagree with all this, in fact, I used to wear Napster out.......ah...remember Napster....those were the days......:(

That kid that started Napstar went to high school a few towns over from me. That's what you can call a guy who sleeps all day, a napstar............yuk yuk. :rolleyes: Drew

I was kind of torn on the patriot act at first, but it scares me more and more each day. Too much governmental power IMO. As far as the RIAA goes, I find it hard to feel sorry for these filthy rich "artists" that can't seem to come up with more than two decent songs on any given cd.

Napster, LOL! See the Italian Job yet? Charector (Seth Green) claims his roommate in college stole Napster software from him. Called Napster b/c he stole it while the guy was napping. Awesome flick.

Anyway, I can see why they'd want to shut down the music sharing, that's common sense. At the same time though, people have been sharing music since it was on records, or any other exchangeable format, with friends, family etc with no problems. This isn't a new thing, it's just a new form of media--digital. I see where they're coming from, but no one's making money off of it, just sharing, so I don't see how they can go after someone for copyright? I thought that only had to do with making money on a product when it was enforced?
It'll be funny to see how long they do these suits against anonymous users. How many 8-17 year olds cases will get thrown out, wasting a lot of legal expense for these folks? They may break their own financial back trying to do this. Not to mention, just because a name is on an ISP account doesn't mean that's the person doing the downloading. Just because you own a car used in a bank robbery doesn't mean you robbed the bank. I don't see how they're going to know who to sue. Sounds like they may be taken to court for making wrong accusations though.

Originally posted by striker_29
I find it hard to feel sorry for these filthy rich "artists" that can't seem to come up with more than two decent songs on any given cd.

Amen to that. Almost bought a CD the other day, but it was $19.99! There were only 2 good songs on there that I knew of, it wasn't worth it to find out if there were more. Typical.