The next step??

Rare91

Purchased and installed a Zimmerman built 237 109. Install has been ongoing for several months, While waiting for a few small items I decided to purchase Erics TT SD Chip. Setup went pretty straightforward. First couple of drives showed the fuel was too rich down low, Took it out for a short run around the block while recording the PL file. Things looking good then suddenly,,,nothin,,,no power. Car was running fine about an hour prior. Turned on the side road and slowly rolled into the throttle,,,was expecting to pull hard, It did lay me back but somewhere into this short burst the car :hiccup: no power, drifed to the side of the road. Car would turn over just fine...fuel pressure is there, Spark looks very orange or near red. Checked the crank sensor and it's still the same unit I replace about 2 months ago, During the drive the car was responding to throttle command very well. Pushed the throttle a little more and the car just died, Checked the powerlogger file from the run and saw the annomoly as it happend...then everything went dead, New plugs, wires, all check out...I ohmed the coil packs and they seem fine. Went back to the codes tab and there it was Code 42. leaning towards needing a new module? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, sorry for the rant. Had a few too many before I posted last night. Car quit while testing some changes to TT SD chip. Turns over just won't start. Powerlogger shows a Code 42...I'm thinking I need a new ignition module but would like some feedback?

May be the module. What are the plugs gapped at? FWIW coils can ohm out fine but still be shot when they get hot.

Coil pack is a new Delco unit , maybe 6 months old. Plugs are brand new NGK R5671A-8 gapped at .028. Car was running fine earlier in the day. First time I've encountered this. PL flagged a code 42.

No..code 42 is for the electronic spark control. Trying to see if I can locate a known good module and try it out.

OK. I would try and find the module and see if that clears the problem up for you. If its backfireing out the exhaust its running rich, which could be lack of spark not igniting the fuel mixture. Also orange or red spark isnt very hot, if it was blue or white you would be ok, sounds like weak spark. maybe get the module first, but if that doesnt do it get a coil pack.