Thinking about getting DirectTV, Should I??

frankg

Speed Seeker!!
Well i'm about ready to move. I found out the cable runs $48 a month in the area i'm moving. So i've been thinking maybe i should just get DirectTV for around the same cost. Only thing i don't like is all those boxes i will need maybe 3-4 and an extra $4.99 a month for each extra one they charge. A bonus is i think i know a guy who can get the cards burnt so i get all the channels free. Tell me what you know about DirectTV good and bad. Thanks,Frank

i think i know a guy who can get the cards burnt so i get all the channels free

I, of course, must say that this is theft and is illegal.

I personally, really like DTV compared to cable. I NEVER have the problems that the cable commercials say I should have with signal drop out and such. And its nice because some yahoo freelance homeowner cannot dig in their backyard and cut the satellite. :D

Its easy to get older boxes for free or cheap nowadays. So, the extra 4.99 isn't such a bad hit for extra boxes. Get a nice multiswitch, and run a bunch of coax all over the house so then you can run cable, antenna, or satellite to every TV.

Oh, and especially since you have friends familiar with DTV, avoid DISH network - DTV is the only way to go.

Been there done that, Frank do not wast your time with guys burning cards. Directive TV sends a signal once a week and burns your card, you end up seeing your guy once a week, not worth it.

If you are going to switch pay for it, it is well worth it. The only time i have some issues is when weather is really bad. IMO

good system

I've had it for several years and I like it. Satellite signal gets thru the weather 99.9% of the time. Fairly easy to install yourself. :)

If you have a woman in the house, she will berate you over that 0.01% of the time it doesn't work. Make sure she knows this before spending the money. I did some research and you're right; the cost looks virtually the same as cable. Not really sure if there's an upside any more unless you are in a remote area w/o a cable provider. I do hear uninspiring things about their broadband internet service. It's a dice roll IMO.

With Directv, the BIG upside with the wife was the DirecTivo.

She doesn't know how she got along without it, and I am considering adding a second one since the kids keep scheduling stuff so they can watch when their homework is done....

It is a good service. If you are planning on running more than 2 seperate tv's, you will need more than 1 dish. I am pretty sure that you can only run 2 boxes per dish. The football package is the way to go!

You can run as maney reciever as you want off of one dish. There are two types of dishes.

Round - one LNB two recievers......

Oblong - three LNB's 6 recievers......

and the signal can be spliced just like cable you just need a reciever for each coaxcel drop.......

Look at all those misspelled words.....

So much misinformation in the world - its a wonder we have survived this long.... :rolleyes:

I have a single LNB dish and can have 8 boxes hooked up. You just need a multiswitch. They are around $50. You run the two sides of your single LNB to the multiswitch and it splits off to your TV receivers. Witha multiswitch, you can even piggyback cable or antenna TV signal on the same coax and use a "diplexer" on the TV end to split it back out.

You do NOT need extra dishes, or even a dish with multiple LNBs. The extra LNB dishes come into play if you want to access more then one satellite. Such as oddball programming like Al-Jezeera, NASA network, or HDTV signals.

Little more info - there are several transponders on the 101 (regular DTV) satellite. They are divided into odd and even transponders. If you try to access an "odd" channel, it goes to the odd transponder, "even" to the even. Its actually a polarization issue - but this is the easiest way I can explain it. That's why you need to run 2 coaxes from your dish. This way you can watch odd and even channels at the same time.

You should also run RG-6 from the dish to the multiswitch and to each receiver. The rg-59 smaller cable with a ton of splitters (like cable tv does) is usually not sufficient. The way the boxes and receivers determine odd or even is through line voltage. So, the receiver sends 18v to the dish - the small cable and long length with splitters may drop the voltage to below 13 - in which case the dish sends the wrong "odd" or "even" signal and you don't get your channel.

That is the simplest way I can explain it.

My $.02 worth

I have DTV. I went to the Radio Shak and bought the system and an extra receiver box. $100.00, and that included the installation. I own the system, and they will supply another dish for free if I move. The programming I have is $38.00 a mo. That's about $12 a month less than cable. Since I don't use electronics in a thunder storm, I could care less if it gets a bad signal when that happens.

While the tech was here, he also installed my stereo system, dvd/disc player, and hooked the TV to it. REALLY neat to see an action movie w/ surround sound!!:cool: :cool:

I have both DTV and cable. In my area, the DTV sound and picture quality BLOWS AWAY cable. I only have signal problems in SEVERE thunderstorms. I can recall may once in the past year that is dropped while I was watching something. I should have unplugged the TV anyway!

I got cable basic for all rooms, and DTV for the family room with basic package and family choice package AND I still save $10 a month over what I paid for the next step up on cable. I lost a few channels I liked, but gained many many more that were more suited for the kids. I don't watch TV anymore anyway so it's perfect!

"not that i do this or anything like that but check out dssware.com"

While youre there, check out all the people in the "Dave letter" section who have received letters threatening legal action for signal theft.

:eek:

Originally posted by squeeze87
"not that i do this or anything like that but check out dssware.com"

While youre there, check out all the people in the "Dave letter" section who have received letters threatening legal action for signal theft.

:eek:
yea, the guy i know who does that:rolleyes: ,used to be worried about that too but he says it all depends on who you bye from .:D

Has anyone heard of a Ciruit City HU card ,I think this is the card they exclusively use,,my buddy has one and said it has been working fine for almost 2yrs,,,can this card be copied----oppp now I did it ....this thread will have to be started over....:rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

No offense, but your friend is not being honest. A dealer card does have some tiers opened up on it, but after about 3 months those cards are useless. Now, it is a valid HU card that can be reprogrammed - if someone was to do something like that.

But, unless its still a valid subscription on the dealer card, there is no way it would last 2 years.....

Ummmm. or so I have heard..... :)

http://www.mypitou.com
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum

that should keep you all busy for a while.

Originally posted by tjthorson
No offense, but your friend is not being honest. A dealer card does have some tiers opened up on it, but after about 3 months those cards are useless. Now, it is a valid HU card that can be reprogrammed - if someone was to do something like that.

But, unless its still a valid subscription on the dealer card, there is no way it would last 2 years.....

Ummmm. or so I have heard..... :)

http://www.mypitou.com
http://www.deladatabase.com

that should keep you all busy for a while.
2nd link does not work.....