thinking of new car

turboimpala

alright i think i finally built a 11 second W body car (impala) and now that its done im having alot of tranny issues that im not to found of. anyway im rebuilding this last time then taking it to stock trim and selling it. now here are my questions i was thinking of getting a 87 GN is this a good year i know for some cars some years are better then others. also on my impala i have a 62-1 turbonectics turbo with a t3 hotside .82 ar would this work on the gn or would i have to buy something new. also is a 11second GN reliable or am i asking for to much?

thanks
jeff

Not sure about the turbo,the GN is a 20 year old used car. It can be reliable,but I may need some TLC and $$$ 1st. An 86-87 is what you'd need 84-85's are totally different animals. Or a T-type,these can be had cheaper than GN's and are real sleepers. A T would run you 8-9K in good shape,a GN 9-12K unless you want a low mileage car.

Do your research first! A great deal (money-wise), might end up being a basket case and end up costing you a bunch of dough. (ask me how I know) :)

On the other hand there are lots of really nice and clean TR's but you will pay. 60k miles for $12k doesn't sound too bad...

Good Luck. Welcome to the darkside.

How familure are you with tuning your Series II turbo motor? I'm working on integrating the engine management system off of an L67 onto my project Turbo6. If this goes well you might be able to retrofit this in and use your knowledge of the PO4 PCM to run you new GN.

different trans

jeff, have you talked to anyone about going to a 4L80E for that SS? a 4L60E wont live in a 4200lb car when you put that much power in front of it no matter how you build the trans.

hell, even stock LT1s kill them eventually in the SS/9C1! Too much car weight for that trans, gm should've used the 4L80E to begin with. would've cost them more money during production though.

might want to give that a try before losing you ass selling the car off.

hiballin said:
jeff, have you talked to anyone about going to a 4L80E for that SS? a 4L60E wont live in a 4200lb car when you put that much power in front of it no matter how you build the trans.

hell, even stock LT1s kill them eventually in the SS/9C1! Too much car weight for that trans, gm should've used the 4L80E to begin with. would've cost them more money during production though.

might want to give that a try before losing you ass selling the car off.
wrong generation Impala, a W-body is a FWD car with either an L36 NA 3800 Series II or an L67 Supercharged 3800 Series II. They use either the 4T65E (L36) or 4T65E-HD (L67). No way to put a 4L80E in without going to a custom tube chassis to convert to RWD. You are thinking B-body Impala.