Thoughts about Tweeter locations

Reaver

I received two recommendations for where to put tweeter seperates. One shop wanted to put them in the stock dash mounts and put the 5.25"s in the CS locations. The other shop said that they would reccomend flushing the tweeters into the doors in front of the window switch because it would be too bright and harsh against the glass. I asked about building a seperates pod in the CS location and they said that was bad for imaging and a higher mounted tweeter would be better. What are your thoughts?

thanks

I will tell you the first guy was correct. I have my tweets flushed into the dash cover pointing at the windshield. They are super bright but I REALLY like it. It is flat impressive. Some may not like it and it does take a little getting used to but they are really clear; not harsh at all. If your system has enough adjustability, it can work. I would do it again.

I put my JBL Titanium tweeters in the WE4 near the switches the imaging was excellent in MHO.

Didn't do that in the GN the tweeters are attached to the 504 GTI JBLs in the concert sound location aiming upwards and that works well in that car.

Nothing wrong with in dash either other than the increased distance from the C.S. location.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382290872.053797.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1382290888.010009.jpg
5.125 mids with tweeter in kick panel. 6" mid bass in stock location. Tweeter in the a pillar attenuated down. Great sound stage.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Custom built by my stereo shop I go to. They have great sound quality and a very good sound stage. I'm using MB Quart speakers.

What did you put in the rear deck? I had MB Quart component 6.5"s but the shop said they where too big without ridiculous amounts of fabrication. So now I need to either buy other speakers or consider other options.

Nothing in the rear just two JL Audio free air subs facing the rear seat. All powered by a Precision power 600 watt 6 channel amp.

Tweets in the stock dash locations have a HUGE advantage for those that like to listen to their music loud. The tweets will last longer. You work the tweets a lot less when you have all that gain coming from the glass. You can actually cut way back on the power going to the tweets with the eq sliders. If you aren't going to compete and aren't worried about staging and just want to rock out then put them in the dash. If you have a desire to compete the car or want your staging correct the ideal locations are those that keep them farthest from your ear but on axis. The farther away they are the more equal the distances become between the listening position and each individual tweet. You will also want them to be as 'on axis' as possible. There is or was a kickpanel available that houses a set of seperates that works really nice but if you like to 'ROCK OUT HARD' get ready to replace blown tweets as they really have to work down there to give you loud volumes. My experience is dated and maybe newer stuff can handle excessive output better these days.

I love SQ and Imaging. The gear I have will get loud.. would rather have it clean and crisp. That said, I'm not listening to Jazz or classical contemporary either.

Notice I didn't say SQ will suffer from tweets in the dash. Properly EQed your SQ can still be there. Staging is what takes a hit. This IMO is overstated and shouldn't weigh in the decision for 80% of people looking to upgrade their sound. Its the folks look to compete or are 'audiophile' types that benefit from the extra work to perfectly locate tweeter placement. I'll put it this way. I've done systems both ways. I enjoyed systems both ways. The ONLY times I've ever criticized a system because of tweeter placement was during competition. The systems that had improper tweeter placement or would have benefited from better tweeter placement lost points due to staging/imaging not sound quality. I have NEVER turned on a nice sounding system with tweets in locations not suitable to compete and complained about it not sounding right as I jammed to my favorite songs.

Are you going to compete this system? If so then do the research and place the tweets in the best location for competition. If not put them suckers in the dash cut your eq back and add life expectancy to them and JAM them MFers. That's how I would handle the decision.

I put my JBL Titanium tweeters in the WE4 near the switches the imaging was excellent in MHO.

Didn't do that in the GN the tweeters are attached to the 504 GTI JBLs in the concert sound location aiming upwards and that works well in that car.

Nothing wrong with in dash either other than the increased distance from the C.S. location.

What brand of laptop stand is that?

I put some new tweeters in the stock location. They were taller so I had to slide them into the hole and put the clips on the speakers then the crews pulled them up. I did it with the windshield off so it was easy. I’m not sure on the difficulty with the windshield on.

d

speaker 6.jpg

Notice I didn't say SQ will suffer from tweets in the dash. Properly EQed your SQ can still be there. Staging is what takes a hit. This IMO is overstated and shouldn't weigh in the decision for 80% of people looking to upgrade their sound. Its the folks look to compete or are 'audiophile' types that benefit from the extra work to perfectly locate tweeter placement. I'll put it this way. I've done systems both ways. I enjoyed systems both ways. The ONLY times I've ever criticized a system because of tweeter placement was during competition. The systems that had improper tweeter placement or would have benefited from better tweeter placement lost points due to staging/imaging not sound quality. I have NEVER turned on a nice sounding system with tweets in locations not suitable to compete and complained about it not sounding right as I jammed to my favorite songs.

Are you going to compete this system? If so then do the research and place the tweets in the best location for competition. If not put them suckers in the dash cut your eq back and add life expectancy to them and JAM them MFers. That's how I would handle the decision.
Hit the nail square on the head with this post. Very well put.

I made some brackets and mounted my tweets as shown below. Awesome imaging. 5.25" mids in stock CSII locations. I tried them in the stock locations and it was ear piercingly loud and horrible imaging.

IMG_20130327_215522