Thread over on Corvette forum....

"Never underestimate those GNs..... Especially the '87 and newer models (they are intercooled)"

Guess I should be looking for an 88 or 89 models being that my 86 is hot air.

pretty funny stuff lol, so misinformed, just when ya think somebody is stating facts and knows there stuff they state some way off fact about GNs. C4s and C5s were alway my best kills back when i was only slightly modded, they never understood what happened

I thought they were pretty respectful and not bad at all except for a couple of nimrods.

We have nimrods on this board too believe it or not.

I just hung up with a local tint shop to check on pricing for my Limited. They asked what kind of car I had. I didn't think they would know what an '87 Regal was I said "'87 Grand National". Kid at the shop says "what the heck is a Grand National?" :rolleyes:, so I went back to my first and told him it was a Regal.

Oh well.... These cars are about as old as the goofs on a lot of these forums.

Originally posted by BlownZ
I thought they were pretty respectful and not bad at all except for a couple of nimrods.

We have nimrods on this board too believe it or not.

LMAO :D :D

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I didn't think they would know what an '87 Regal was I said "'87 Grand National".

LOL I thought you did it so they didn't offer you a siesmic stereo and rediculously oversized/shiny/gold plated wheels and tires to go with the tint! :D

Originally posted by Wells
I thought that they were being very well mannnered.

Yeah, I agree...they weren't in awe, and they weren't outright bashing the TRs either; just a little misinformed.

I just LOVE what this guy said:

The GN shouldn't be faster than a '93 Vette all being stock. At least in the magazine drags. Though In the real world anything can happen. The famous Buick faster than a Vette story is because the 1987 GNX was quicker than a stock 1987 TPI Vette. I guess GM didn't mind to have the lesser Buick be quicker in the quarter since the Vette is superior in every other way and it was the last year of that body Buick. It all changed with the arrivall of the LT1. The Grand National of the time made 245hp and 355tq, so as you can see it was within the 1987 vettes power range. Buick made a limited production of 547 GNX versions that made 276hp and 355tq, though it was rumored to make over 300hp. All being said, the regular GN should be slower than an LT1 and the "you would harldly ever see one" GNX would be a close run. Car and Driver listed the GNX : 0-60 5.4 sec; 1/4 mi 13.43 @ 104mph. So not really LT1 pounding numbers. Even the regular GN and a TPI would be close. People want to apply the GNX numbers to all 1987 GN's. One of those urban legends " the GN is faster than a Vette.

LOL yeah ok I guess some Corvette owners still deny to this day that the GN was faster...hilarious stuff!

Geez......... that is very interesting reading......... "the GN was modded"

No **** Buddy! Is there a such thing as a "stock" GN anymore? ;)

Originally posted by d0n_3d
I just LOVE what this guy said:

The GN shouldn't be faster than a '93 Vette all being stock. At least in the magazine drags. Though In the real world anything can happen. The famous Buick faster than a Vette story is because the 1987 GNX was quicker than a stock 1987 TPI Vette. I guess GM didn't mind to have the lesser Buick be quicker in the quarter since the Vette is superior in every other way and it was the last year of that body Buick. It all changed with the arrivall of the LT1. The Grand National of the time made 245hp and 355tq, so as you can see it was within the 1987 vettes power range. Buick made a limited production of 547 GNX versions that made 276hp and 355tq, though it was rumored to make over 300hp. All being said, the regular GN should be slower than an LT1 and the "you would harldly ever see one" GNX would be a close run. Car and Driver listed the GNX : 0-60 5.4 sec; 1/4 mi 13.43 @ 104mph. So not really LT1 pounding numbers. Even the regular GN and a TPI would be close. People want to apply the GNX numbers to all 1987 GN's. One of those urban legends " the GN is faster than a Vette.

LOL yeah ok I guess some Corvette owners still deny to this day that the GN was faster...hilarious stuff!

Uh--actually---he is correct.He is talking about a 93 vette--not an 87.My bone stock 93 vette ran a 13.49--stock tires,stock air filter---haven't heard on any gn's doing that--i know mine wouldn't.

Geoff

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I just hung up with a local tint shop to check on pricing for my Limited. They asked what kind of car I had. I didn't think they would know what an '87 Regal was I said "'87 Grand National". Kid at the shop says "what the heck is a Grand National?" :rolleyes:, so I went back to my first and told him it was a Regal.

Oh well.... These cars are about as old as the goofs on a lot of these forums.

The older I get the more I just don't get it. When I was 16 in '84 I could tell you what a Max Wedge was or Boss 429, '56 Chevy Bel Air, etc. The reason was because I aspired to be like the adults that were fond of these cars or owned them. I spent hours reading magazines, books, anything I could get my hands on.

Teenagers and that age group just annoy me to the point that I can't be around them. All the dumb comments and street racing tales just push me over the edge. I have to remember that for these kids keeping their underwear clean for a day is a personal victory. What a refreshing change it would be to hear "excuse me sir, nice car can you answer a question for me". Instead of "how much boost ya runnin' on that supercharger" Wanna run my Honda??

Next time some young goof says what's a GN - tell him it's just a musclecar icon.

Originally posted by ghall
Uh--actually---he is correct.He is talking about a 93 vette--not an 87.My bone stock 93 vette ran a 13.49--stock tires,stock air filter---haven't heard on any gn's doing that--i know mine wouldn't.

Geoff

Sounds about right...try this though. Spend $200 on mods on both and run them again.

If the Vette folks get an April GM High Tech Performance magazine and look on page 61...at the top left of the page...they'll see how you can make a 95 Vette run 9's!!!

Just take out the Chevy multipurpose truck/car engine and install a Buick turbo V6 :)

Originally posted by paul vilser
If the Vette folks get an April GM High Tech Performance magazine and look on page 61...at the top left of the page...they'll see how you can make a 95 Vette run 9's!!!

Just take out the Chevy multipurpose truck/car engine and install a Buick turbo V6 :)

HEHEHE You should join that forum and post it there. That would be funny to hear their reaction.

It's kind of ironic that the fastest Pontiac ever is the Buick Turbo 89TTA. The fastest "Cobra" I've seen run at the dragstrip is John Spina's GN Venom...and it's probably the fastest slalom Cobra also and it has a fairly stock motor. The fastest Cadilac CTS has a Buick Turbo V6, the fastest RX 7 and Porsches I've seen run at the dragstrip in Bowling Green all have transplanted Buick Turbo V6's and through the years at the Nationals I've seen super fast Corvettes run from the 60's Stingrays through the 90's...all with Buick V6 Turbo motors.

Maybe Chevy should offer the 18 years old technology Buick Turbo V6 as an "ultra high performance" option? How about a COPO ZR6 option code? If they charged an extra 30 grand for the Buick motor, like the ZR1's were priced...there would probably be a line of Corvette enthusiasts lined up at their local Chevy dealers wanting to buy them. I'm just having some fun here...but it really makes you wonder...
:)