Threw the first part of paint down

Project TNX

I'll spare the bad points, but I have to rework 5 pieces, poor prep on my part, one mistake with the gun, then a clusterf*ck of an accident with the header panel.

I do love me some Dark Garnet Red Metallic though.

paintfail1.jpg

paintfail2.jpg

paintfail3.jpg

paintfailall.jpg

What turned out well turned out really well, what turned out bad turned out really bad. I'm taking a break today because my mask needs replaced (can you say headache) but tomorrow or Friday is go time on the hood, trunk, and fender flares.

Nice color, what's it from?

It's the factory GM Dark Garnet Red that was available for our cars. It''s my favorite color for these cars, so I am full coloring my WH1. :cool:

I hope tomorrow goes better than last night, I am shooting for no reowrked pieces from here on out, especially the main car shell. :redface:

Oh, I didn't know if it was from a newer car. It will be nice when done.

That color would be super sweet two-toned with a metallic silver.
John

I thought about that a lot, it would have really set off my interior, but I want that monochromatic GNX exterior. That and I just don't like the way the two tones tie into the bumpers. I thought about painting it all silver as well, but that dark garnet red has been my favorite color for these cars forever with silver being a close second.

The hood and trunk orange peeled on me because I skimped on the reducer, BUT the good news is it was nothing a little wet sanding couldn't fix, woot!!! It's still hazey, that's 1500 grit sanding marks with a very minimal polish quickly on top (I need to get the good stuff still.)

hood_and_trunk3.jpg

You can see the orange peel pretty good on the trunk pic.

hood_and_trunk2.jpg

kept the stickers intact, can't even tell there was a full color change on it. :cool:

hood_and_trunk1.jpg

I just finished the doors and flares 5 minutes ago. I'm spent. They look pretty good thus far, I'm optimistic.

doors_and_flares2.jpg

doors_and_flares1.jpg

doors_and_flares3.jpg

doors_and_flares4.jpg

All in all I'm happy with it, I'm a novice and this whole process has been filled with highs and lows. I respect the hell out of Body Men. I have never done anything this detail oriented or fragile in my life and I have done a lot of artistic projects before.

Looks good so far Brent, i'm gonna try and start mine hopefully this fall. Keep the pics and details comming.:)

lol Now you know why we charge so much !! I shot you back an email. If you need anymore help feel free to holler at me anytime man! Daniel Ray
Dreamscape Kustom Paint
Fitzgerald Ga 31750

lol Now you know why we charge so much !! I shot you back an email. If you need anymore help feel free to holler at me anytime man! Daniel Ray
Dreamscape Kustom Paint
Fitzgerald Ga 31750

Major respect to your profession, it's the hardest task I can think of, you can't half ass anything and have ZERO room for error while shooting, none what so ever. I'm amazed that any car can even have perfect paint, lol.

Looks good dude....To help with the orange peel try lower your air pressure. What kind of Gun you using?

Looks good dude....To help with the orange peel try lower your air pressure. What kind of Gun you using?

I'm using a Kobalt HVLP Gravity with a 1.5mm tip. I'm going to really play with the gun before I shoot the main part of the car this week. Daniel Ray has helped me a lot as well, he's been invaluable actually.

I'm prepping and sanding this weekend, then shooting sometime next week.

Looks great and love the color...but...You should really have the pieces that you're painting hanging in the same orientation that they'll be on the car. (Hood flat, deck lid flat, fender flares vertical) When you reassemble everything the paint won't look seamless. The metal flake will be suspended in the paint differently, and won't reflect light the same way.

Looks great and love the color...but...You should really have the pieces that you're painting hanging in the same orientation that they'll be on the car. (Hood flat, deck lid flat, fender flares vertical) When you reassemble everything the paint won't look seamless. The metal flake will be suspended in the paint differently, and won't reflect light the same way.

Too late now,:D all that's left is the shell and the rework pieces. I have a lot, A LOT of wetsanding and buffing in my future. I'm going to sand the pieces each night, try and get this together within 2 weeks.

ok Brent i been waiting post up the body pics if you got it sprayed:cool:

It was rainy this week, and I had to go on a camping trip this weekend, which it rained some more. I'm hoping to spray sometime between Wednesday-Friday, that way it give me all weekend to sand and buff.

Brent, hang in there buddy lol, its a lot of work but you can be proud of yourself when you get it done ! Keep them pics coming, I have been watching to see how it's going Daniel Ray