THS Rules for 2012

Randy is CHEAP

I'm sure, but coming into a THS thread and saying he has less money in his car than all of us is a bold statement...Pretty sure my car has him beat there.

Yes I'd still call THS a budget class, no my car isn't the fastest, but when I can make it to a race I'm mid pack or better...Of course you can spend a fortune doing it like anything else but mid pack in THS is still WAY cheaper than mid pack TSM, or XTSM, or whatever it's gonna be called now.

You want to help the budget, allow 400 tranny's and you all can sell those $3000.00 200r4's and build a GOOD 400 and buy new tire's!!! FOR a year!!!

just sayin!!!
JD

THS a budget class, i would have to disagree with that. They are some people doing extremely well without killing the bank. But if a few of the TSM guys who have the money and technology decided to build a purpose built THS car that would change. Right now it appears to be fun class with alot of cars that can run mid pac and have a good time. But the currant rules as written do leave the door open for someone to be dominant if they are willing to spend the money to do so.

THS a budget class, i would have to disagree with that. They are some people doing extremely well without killing the bank. But if a few of the TSM guys who have the money and technology decided to build a purpose built THS car that would change. Right now it appears to be fun class with alot of cars that can run mid pac and have a good time. But the currant rules as written do leave the door open for someone to be dominant if they are willing to spend the money to do so.

So, you are saying tsm guys are rich? I knew it! Lol

So, you are saying tsm guys are rich? I knew it! Lol

The ones that live around here have better parts laying all over the shop, than I can afford for my car. LOL My point is that the top TSM guys already have 109 combo's running low 9's to high 8's. with some minor changes they could meet THS rules. It seems the guys who decide to go all out with the 109's choose TSM. With all the changes in TSM that may change, then in order to keep THS a budget class or safe, the rules would would have to be changed to slow em down some. We found breaking an axle in a 8.5 will put you in the wall in a hurry in Chris H. TSM car, same engine in a THS car with added weight and safety will become an issue.

...We found breaking an axle in a 8.5 will put you in the wall in a hurry in Chris H. TSM car, same engine in a THS car with added weight and safety will become an issue.

I made a complete pass with shattered spider gears at Reynolds earlier this year in my 8.5 in qualifying. It took a 2lb sledge to dislodge parts to get the carrier out. Luckily the axles stayed in place and none of the pieces locked it up while I was driving.

Ok.......We have a few that want the rules to remain the same as last year. And we have had a few responses to specific rules. Thanks to all that have had constructive conversation concerning the rules.

Kip,

What do you think about the comments and what is your take on the rules for 2012?

Ok.......We have a few that want the rules to remain the same as last year. And we have had a few responses to specific rules. Thanks to all that have had constructive conversation concerning the rules.

Kip,

What do you think about the comments and what is your take on the rules for 2012?

The rule change I saw was the request for drag radials? Is that right?

Maybe clarify the gas tank rule. Come out and say stock tank must be in car. I think there is a loop hole the way it is written.

I think turbos should be limited to 44 and 49's ;) seriously would be fun I think lol

The rule change I saw was the request for drag radials? Is that right?

I think turbos should be limited to 44 and 49's ;) seriously would be fun I think lol

I threw my old 44 on my car one time instead of the 45a and there was no lag, it got up and went like I had an LS engine under the hood.

Drag radials, I threw that out there, but really, just keep the rules the same. I'll run slicks or radials, my wife thinks I run a tire shop with 12 different wheels and tires for the T. I'm going to do some winter testing with the road racing tires off my Z06 to see if I can have handling and launching in one tire package to run THS TAI and AutoX at the TB.com nats.

I threw my old 44 on my car one time instead of the 45a and there was no lag, it got up and went like I had an LS engine under the hood.

Drag radials, I threw that out there, but really, just keep the rules the same. I'll run slicks or radials, my wife thinks I run a tire shop with 12 different wheels and tires for the T. I'm going to do some winter testing with the road racing tires off my Z06 to see if I can have handling and launching in one tire package to run THS TAI and AutoX at the TB.com nats.

That would be cool to see how it handles. When I put the stock wheels on my car, it handles pretty
good imo. I have hotchkis lowering springs on my car and they are pretty stiff. That and the hr bar do a pretty good good. I bet it would do.even better with a front sway bar. Only issues with the cone dodging would be my stock brakes. They suck for that stuff.

You car hooks even for being lowered! I'm going to try to run 2012 with my 17's. Stock brakes are fine for cone dodging, since you don't really get over 45mph. 17's alone made my stock 87 GN with 140k miles handle 10x better. I still run the stock sway bars and 10 yr old KYB shocks since I drive a lot on the street (never parked out of my sight though).

You car hooks even for being lowered! I'm going to try to run 2012 with my 17's. Stock brakes are fine for cone dodging, since you don't really get over 45mph. 17's alone made my stock 87 GN with 140k miles handle 10x better. I still run the stock sway bars and 10 yr old KYB shocks since I drive a lot on the street (never parked out of my sight though).
Its a big myth that lowered cars don't hook. I'd go lower but it wouldn't fit on my utility trailer that I use as a car trailer lol

Adding heat, A/C and changing back to a 200r4 is more than minor changes in my opinion.

Those have always been the requirements for the THS class as well as the 8.5 rearend. Whether or not they function, well, that's a different story. Most 10-11 sec cars still have the stock luxuries for which the class was intended.

Those have always been the requirements for the THS class as well as the 8.5 rearend. Whether or not they function, well, that's a different story. Most 10-11 sec cars still have the stock luxuries for which the class was intended.

I think he is talking about TSM guy's switching over that somebody mentioned a few post ago.
In my opinion it would be easier to start with another car.

Adding heat, A/C and changing back to a 200r4 is more than minor changes in my opinion.

there is a TSM car right now that already has all that with iron heads running 9.30s. Switching to a 67 turbo will not make alot of difference. I am just trying make sure everyone involved in the rules discussion realizes the potential of the rules as written now. When 1 or 2 cars show up a half of second faster than the rest of the field, what will happen to the class. I stated early in this thread I personally don't care if they are any changes. I just prefer to race in a class that has 20 cars in it, not 4 or 5.

Ok.......

Kip,

Last year I made a promise to open a discussion about the rules up and plan to do very soon, wanted to get the moderator thing behind us as last year it turned way to ugly. Granted mostly by people who never raced the class and some that do not even have a car that fits.

Take care, Kip

there is a TSM car right now that already has all that with iron heads running 9.30s. Switching to a 67 turbo will not make alot of difference. I am just trying make sure everyone involved in the rules discussion realizes the potential of the rules as written now. .

We are talking about John Ps car here correct? If so he would also have to add 100 lbs of weight to his car. I can not say how much difference the 67 with a 3x2 housing would make over his present turbo. I have never done this change my self. If someone has and will share their results that would be great.

Take care, Kip