time to regasket engine car runs good just want to re gasket

moes87gn

ok guy i think its time fonew gaskets car runs good but i noticed some minor leaks of oil drops and coolant so would like to see what to do and re gasket the car and do some maintenance to it it has 146k never opened up all bone stock engine would like to see where to get gaskets and good quality not cheap give me some tips on what to do i dont race just enjoy the car and drive from time to time so lets help a guy out thanks for any help guys

not looking for head gaskets guys just other gaskets intake valve covers timing things like this also give me an idea on what else to do

Get some plain ole cork valve cover gaskets, and while the valve covers are off, get rid of those weak ass stock springs (you'll thank me later).

Then get a FelPro TCS4590 timing cover gasket kit. While the timing cover is off, do my oil mods and replace your timing set with a POS stock replacement aluminum/nylon unit. They're only good for 100,000 miles or 25 years. Port the oil cooler adapter while it's off too.

Next, drop the oil pan to remove the timing gear teeth. While you're there replace the stock pickup with a Melling unit that doesn't have a trap door. Before tightening it down put a blob of clay on it and push the pan against the block to check the pickup height. if it's good, use The Right Stuff instead of a gasket. If you feel safe swapping out a rear seal, pull the cap and do the job. Use The Right Stuff on the side seals with a pipe cleaner as re-bar. Put a THIN film of Yamabond along the backside of the parting line where the cap meets the block.

Personally I'd never attempt a rear main seal job with the engine in the car, but to each their own.

Those vc gaskets are the balls.

That is good to hear. I have a set I bought about 5 years ago but have not installed them yet. I'm still waiting for the set of cork gaskets to go bad and start leaking, I got them off ebay for $5.50 shipped and they don't leak a drop. Looks like I'll be waiting a while longer to use them maybe another 6 years. lol :)

I went through all this a few months ago. I would do the valve springs as well. I cut that corner and I wish I didn't. I changed intake and valve cover gaskets ($5 cork). I pretty much did all the top end stuff for phase 1. In the spring I'm gonna dive into the front of the motor next. You could always do it in phases like that.

Your going to pull the engine correct?
Do everything Earl said, plus replace all the bearings, MAKE SURE OF THEIR SIZE!