Time to replace the Hydroboost, so..Hydratech or Tallon Hydro?

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
It has come time for me to replace my hydroboost head, and was wondering which one is a better option. Both websites claim they use brand new units, so is there a difference other than price?

I do not need ANYTHING else other than the head, so lines, MC, fittings, are of no concern to me. I spent an arm and a leg last year putting brand new Jones pump, PSC res, and AN line sets in the system already.

After doing some research last night, it appears there is no difference in a Bosch HB unit from either vendor. One preps the unit for a nicer appearance. Both units get a machined piece of aluminum to adapt it to the firewall. Need to do little more research......

Me being in product development for the auto industry is a good and bad thing, makes me find the source and cut through the marketing, but takes a tremendous amount of time to save a few bucks. It's about the chase for me, not really the money.

Subscribed... for future findings. Thanks for the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More:

Can order a NEW HB unit from Tallon for $400.00. All units sold now are the same and MFG by Bosch, they are the latest 2015 tooling casing. They all come with the same accumulator gas charged units. There does NOT appear to be much markup in the unit from Bosch to either vendors. They make their money in the adapter plate from firewall to HB head. How do I know this?

I was able to buy a new unit for $400 from Tallon. But If I needed the adapter plate I HAD to buy the complete line set, the fittings, hoses etc. As mentioned, dont need this, already have it. I mentioned this, it was said..that is how they pay for the costs of the plates and make money with the "accessories." So the price is $625.00. They are baking profits into selling the kit, which is completely fine, and understandable.

Hydratech unit will cost $550.00 without a line set but includes the adapter plate.

So the complete differences between the two vendors from my findings are:

* Jim. Jim at Hydratech is a hell of a guy. I had contacted him on numerous occasions last year when I went through all my "aeration" problems I was having. He was more than helpful
* Hydratech applies coatings of paint over an ALREADY powdercoated HB unit
* Hydratech uses some fasteners that are different and more appealing than the stock studs used on the tallon.
* Hydratech will separate more appealing castings on their street models and apply additional coatings of paint for appearance reasons (for extra money)
* Tallon and Hydratech have a similar firewall mounting plate that MUST be used to mount the unit to our firewalls. Either one is probably the same in fit and function. Both claim to place additional coats of clear to keep nice.
* Warranty is the same

So in my case where I don't need a complete kit, it appears Hydratech is a better option. What would I do with all the extra accessories that I do not need? I have had great dealings and support from Hydratech in the past, and haven't even bought from him before. So I guess my vote leads in this direction.

More information

Talked to Jim at HT yesterday. When replacing or placing a HB unit in your car, there is a difference in the pedal push rods between a car that may have had a Vacuum Booster versus having the power master. It appears the power master and HB uses the same 1/2" diameter pin brake pedal. The vacuum pedal is smaller in diameter at 7/16", food for thought.

Other pieces of information that I found shady last night perusing the internet for other options. Tallon would NOT sell me a unit with a mounting plate with HB unit for less than $625.00 which included all the hoses which I do not need. Yet when I looked on Ebay, he sure was selling one for $475 without hoses. For the extra 75$ and piece of mind and "honesty" I am using Hydratech. Something doesn't seem "right" if you know what I mean.

There is a 4 week lead time since they build to order. What is also kind of nice, is all the new units he is doing are the 2017 version that Bosch is releasing.

Last edited:
I've bought several from this person.
Elliott Sydnam <sterlingworth16@yahoo.com>
He'll sell you a new unit w/o all the unneeded "stuff"

NICE guy to deal with. Prompt responses, too.
He's in TX.

I've bought several from this person.
Elliott Sydnam <sterlingworth16@yahoo.com>
He'll sell you a new unit w/o all the unneeded "stuff"

NICE guy to deal with. Prompt responses, too.
He's in TX.

You know what they say about a day late??? Yup..O well. I called Jim probably 1/2 dozen times last year with all my aeration woes and HB hookup issues. Money going to a good fella. Thanks for the information though!

This is good info. I also talked to Hydratech and Tallon and ended up buying a Tallon unit. Butch was very helpful.
IMG_8290.JPG
I needed the lines and fittings though so bought the kit minus the MC. Found a better deal on eBay.

Went with an aluminum p steering pump from TurnOne and a custom reservoir from Lee.

This is good info. I also talked to Hydratech and Tallon and ended up buying a Tallon unit. Butch was very helpful.View attachment 296113 I needed the lines and fittings though so bought the kit minus the MC. Found a better deal on eBay.

Went with an aluminum p steering pump from TurnOne and a custom reservoir from Lee.
Maybe the best all around looking unit I have seen. Very nice

This is good info. I also talked to Hydratech and Tallon and ended up buying a Tallon unit. Butch was very helpful.View attachment 296113 I needed the lines and fittings though so bought the kit minus the MC. Found a better deal on eBay.

Very nice update/upgrade, cannot go wrong with Wilwood either. My reply is strictly part of my learning process regarding T-Regals.

Thanks.