timing chain?

Cleaner13

The Cleaner
what does a double roller timing chain actually do?
what is the difference between that and a stock one?
what advantage will this give me or performance if any?

thanks

Carl

Personally I don't see how a double roller will gain you anything unless you run some major spring pressure with a big roller cam. My experiences the double roller chains stretch easy and since you can't put a tentioner on it without it chewing it up it will be very sloppy. I stick with a good quality stock style with steel gears instead of the nylon with a new stock GM tensioner.

Originally posted by Cleaner13
what does a double roller timing chain actually do?
what is the difference between that and a stock one?
what advantage will this give me or performance if any?
It doesn't really do anything that a stock one can't handle on TR's. On SBC motors, its the way to go if using higher spring pressures which is usually a must on a SBC to make more hp. There's dual sprockets and the chain is actually two chains made together. If a "true" roller chain, then the chain will fit tightly in the teeth of the sprocket and the chain actually has "roller" where it goes in the sprocket, less friction, which means more hp.
But for Tr's, a double roller is usually a no no usually running extremely high pressure valve springs on a quicker than 10 sec car. A stock steel replacement chain is perfect for almost any street driven car, and less noise to potentially set off the Knock sensor. Also, the stock chain utilizes a tensioner arm to keep slack out of the chain. If used with a double roller, it will chew up the tensioner and put it in the oil pan...not good.
DR's seem to get a lot of slack in them real quick on TR for some reason, and its not recommended.

Re: Re: timing chain?

Originally posted by 2QUIK6

.........................DR's seem to get a lot of slack in them real quick on TR for some reason, and its not recommended.

Everything you stated about double roller timing sets above is accurate except the above comment. Most all DR sets wear quickly. Many of the DR's are not "true" double rollers and do get lots of slack quickly.

There is no need to use one for a flat tappet cam in a turbo motor as you said. Most are used with roller cams that have much higher spring pressures. In this case, a premium DR, like a Rollmaster, is preferred and will hold up better than a link type chain.