Timing Problems.

87we410877

Im picking up an s-10 with a cyclone engine in it. The guy says it has "timing problems". Where do i start?

87we410877 said:
Im picking up an s-10 with a cyclone engine in it. The guy says it has "timing problems". Where do i start?

I am going to guess is V6 Syclone motor not a Mercury Cyclone V8 :eek:

The balancer sometimes spins especially with higher mileage, so you need to do a TDC check with a piston stop. Once you have established the TDC mark on balancer, then set the timing to 0 degrees.

Before your pruchase I would becareful looking over the motor, if its stock internal and he knows it has timing issues from audible pinging, it maybe too late for the lower end(broken ring, melted piston or bent connecting rod)

dgoodhue said:
I am going to guess is V6 Syclone motor not a Mercury Cyclone V8 :eek:

The balancer sometimes spins especially with higher mileage, so you need to do a TDC check with a piston stop. Once you have established the TDC mark on balancer, then set the timing to 0 degrees.

Before your pruchase I would becareful looking over the motor, if its stock internal and he knows it has timing issues from audible pinging, it maybe too late for the lower end(broken ring, melted piston or bent connecting rod)

What would the balancer have to do with timing? Isnt that just where the marks are? It sould still run fine but the readings will be off. How the heck does that spin?

go for the easy fix first. There's a tan colored wire on the passenger side of the truck, usually up under the dash or sometimes down by the floormat. Unplug this. Start truck and let idle. It will idle rough no doubt. Set timing to 0deg. plug wire back in. Check to see you're still at 0 deg. Go from there. If it runs ****ty, it could be more than just timing....

87we410877 said:
What would the balancer have to do with timing? Isnt that just where the marks are? It sould still run fine but the readings will be off. How the heck does that spin?

The balance has rubber between the crank mount and outer pulley. The timing mark is on the outer section.

sy1907 said:
go for the easy fix first. There's a tan colored wire on the passenger side of the truck, usually up under the dash or sometimes down by the floormat. Unplug this. Start truck and let idle. It will idle rough no doubt. Set timing to 0deg. plug wire back in. Check to see you're still at 0 deg. Go from there. If it runs ****ty, it could be more than just timing....

I'll check that because he ripped the whole interior out. Maybe that came dissconnected. We'll see. Im picking it up next week.