timing recommendations -

SuperTTA

Hi all,
Need some help before I contact Lubrant. I bought a 93 octane chip, 20 degree timing for my TTA from him and ran it for awhile.
Car has the following mods...Green stripe injectors, 8" K&N, SS Maf pipe, AFR, adjustable wastegate. Stock downpipe, cat and exhaust.

44-45 psi fuel pressure 17 psi boost. 93 octane gas. Remember TTA's run 16.5 lbs stock. I don't think 17 psi should be pushing it.

Car runs rich low rpms, cruise and WOT...Block learn about 112-117. O2 volts at WOT in 830 mV. only 2-3 degrees in 2nd gear. Getting knock in third gear (10 degrees before I let out of it)

Put stock chip back in /reset computer and drive for a couple days and block learn is nice at 127-128 idle and cruise. (Integrater goes between 123 and 136), 17 psi boost, 45 psi fuel pressure. Still knock in third gear.
Tried GM top engine cleaner....haven't got into it yet.

I live in Houston, and was thinking of having joe trim some low rpm fuel (if possible) and lower the timing to 18 degrees. Can I have the chip at 19 or 20 degrees in 1, 2 and lower it to 17-18 in third.
Does this sound like the route to take? Thanks in advance.
Gets darn hot here in houston and I think lower timing will be helpful....Maybe I need a "Summer" chip and and semi-winter chip.
One more thing...does anyone know what the timing is on a stock TTA chip?
James

Why do you think fueling needs to be changed? That BL would be totally acceptable to me. Trying for perfection on these cars is a waste of time and pretty much not going to net you any noticeable changes. The BLM is close so it's doing it's job. Maybe the TTA stock chip is just a little leaner. I've never looked at one so I can't say.

As far as timing, I'd probably shoot for around 17 degrees with 92 octane. Something else to consider, and I'm in no way trying to skank a sale from my buddy Joe is the variable timing stuff I do. That works really well for less than stellar gasoline. And yes, you can manipulate the timing somewhat in third gear but you have to play with the converter lockup to do it and I dunno how well that would work for the street. I'd have to ponder on that.

Thanks Jay,
That is another thing I was noticing is that my converter was locking after it switches to second. When I switched to the stock chip it stopped, but I am not sure it was the chip since I messed with the TV cable....it was leaking down at the trans and I tightened the nut and readjusted the cable at the throttle body.
I don't like the converter locking until it is in 4th gear if I can help it. Can that be programmed like that?

The car smells like it is running rich at idle, that was my concern on the block learn.

Do you know what the stock timing is on a stock TTA chip? What about on a GN stock chip?

17 degrees on 92 octane...thanks...Is that only at WOT? Will it make it feel sluggish? Sorry if I ask too many questions.
LAter,
James

Hi James,

Based on the readings as JC said, I'm not that concerned about the BLM or INT numbers. They are in acceptable range.
I agree that they do show the idle fueling needed to be adjusted leaner by the computer.
The 44 or 45psi initial fuel pressure you set is a little higher than I would like. I would think 42-43 would correct the blm/int readings closer to normal.

In any event I am more concerned with the knock readings your getting.
I tend to agree that 20 deg. is probably to aggressive at the boost level you are running with 92 octane.
I also agree based on your results that a chip in the 17-18 deg. range would be more appropriate for your set-up, especially since you are still running a CAT. (I didn't think anybody still did that unless it was emmision test time)

The Stock TA chip although programmed for 16psi, the timing is in the 16-17 deg range in the 3200 to 4000rpm band, and then elevates higher.

In any event send me back the chip and I will recurve the timing to something more appropriate, and lean up the idle area to suit the fuel pressure you indicated. TA's are a little more touchy than GN's when it comes to timing, they tend to run at lower rpms & higher loads because of rear gear ratio & lower shift points.

To give credit to JC, I really like the variable timing set-ups, and this could be a viable alternative for your application as well.

Lovin that signature Joe... but...

Wasnt the 9.13 at 3680# and not 3700#? :p

hehehehh

question for joe or jay...when you say 20 deg...is that 20 deg. through all gears or how does that break down....my car has a chip burned by mark riley at turbo tune and i don't think my car likes it....the car will knock at part throttle sometimes...no more than 4 deg. though but i don't want any....i was told by someone that it could be like: 23,23,20,20 or something like that through the gears....when you say 17-18, are you adding 20 deg. in first and second gear....

Timing is controlled by load. When you get to the maximum load the ECM can read, you'll be at XX amount of timing and as long as the load stays maxed out, the timing won't change. There are some other ways to kind of manipulate timing via TCC lockup but I personally don't use them.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Lovin that signature Joe... but...

Wasnt the 9.13 at 3680# and not 3700#? :p

hehehehh

Hi Jim,

No the 3680# was the weight (car & driver) at Nats BG-2000.:p

The 9.13 run had a full tank (4gals more than before) and forgot the 2 beach chairs in the trunk.:D

Later,
:cool: