tire and wheel question

Warped

No helmet required!
I have given up trying to find quality tires in 15" so I'm moving up to 16 or 17. This is a daily driver 87 GN not a show car. More like a 100 footer. Any wheel suggestions that won't break the bank?

What do you mean by "quality tire"?

I just bought "stock" BFG's for the front of my car. They aren't hard to find at all.

McCormick Racing has several quality brand 15" tires with free shipping to your door.

I have 255 TAs on the back now and wet and dry traction in normal daily driving have been poor since I bought them new. Tire choices for 16s and 17s are much better.

Look at craigslist for rims. I got 2 GTA fronts for less than $150 and there are other options if you look around.

Certainly the safest option as they are a known quantity. I know the norm is 4 GTA fronts but I have notched rails so I suspect that GTA rears would not be a problem on mine.

I have 255 TAs on the back now and wet and dry traction in normal daily driving have been poor since I bought them new. Tire choices for 16s and 17s are much better.

You have a DD GN, and traction has been a problem from day one, for all of us. All day, everyday.

I'm not so sure spending a bunch of money on a wheel /tire combo is going to cure your woes. That's all.

I'm sure others will chime in with different opinions and since you have already made up your mind, none of what I say matters.

I'm only saying the wheel tire combo isn't always the problem, especially in inclement weather. Most times it's the driver over driving the car.

PS. GTA wheels are just plain ugly. Many here will disagree, but Pontiac wheels do not belong an a Buick., period.

All that is beside the fact that all of Charlie's taste is in his mouth. :) He knows home made wine and hot air cars...............:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
All that is beside the fact that all of Charlie's taste is in his mouth. :)
At least it's not in my butt like your's Guy.:ROFLMAO:

There are other options besides GTA wheels. The F body and S-10's came with 16" and larger wheels that should fit. If you want something even bigger I've got a set of 8" rims and tires that might work for you. How'd you like to stuff a set of 285/35/18 that are Z rated under that car.:D

And bar b que, don't forget the bar b que.
I've been considering going bigger with the wheels , too. I thought about some 17" steel wheels with poverty caps. Not sure yet but it is on my radar.

At least it's not in my butt like your's Guy.:ROFLMAO:

There are other options besides GTA wheels. The F body and S-10's came with 16" and larger wheels that should fit. If you want something even bigger I've got a set of 8" rims and tires that might work for you. How'd you like to stuff a set of 285/35/18 that are Z rated under that car.:D

Oh Charlie,

You are a bad man searching out a newb and offering your 8 incher(s).......

So very bad.......... :D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey Warped, do what you want to do, it's your car.

I'm only here to show Charlie the love he so needs and desires............ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And bar b que, don't forget the bar b que.
I've been considering going bigger with the wheels , too. I thought about some 17" steel wheels with poverty caps. Not sure yet but it is on my radar.
Go with 18's Rich. 17's just don't have that many options.:(

Oh Charlie,

You are a bad man searching out a newb and offering your 8 incher(s).......

So very bad.......... :D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey Warped, do what you want to do, it's your car.

I'm only here to show Charlie the love he so needs and desires............ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ok Zimp Jr, I told you before I wasn't interested and you had the wrong plumbing.:rolleyes:

Simple problem really with a not so simple solution. This is a daily driver car literally. Eight miles to work, eight miles back, plus lunch, five to seven days a week, plus anywhere else I need to go and the annual trip to BG. All of which I have been doing with this same GN for the last 15 years. It is never street raced and is only track raced with drag radials. I want a quality tire and that seems to require at least 16s. I appreciate the input and unless I need to do something sooner I expect I'll see a few interesting tire/wheel combos at the Buick meet in a couple weeks. Thx again.

I have 16" gnx style wheels from kirbans with Toyo drag radials that are sticky I'd consider parting with. Your traction problems can be cured with suspension work. Not sure about wet traction with these though... But I know guys with daily driven vetted have used them

I am interested in 4 GNX style wheels if anyone has 4. As far as drag radials, I have two sets so I'm not looking for those. Now if I find 4 GNX for my daily driver needs I might be interested in yours to match the look.

I have a set of four Nitto's 555's 2 regular and 2 DR's 245/45/17's (no rims) with less than 500 miles on them I'll make ya a deal. I took them off my '98 GS when I sold it.

I have a set of four Nitto's 555's 2 regular and 2 DR's 245/45/17's (no rims) with less than 500 miles on them I'll make ya a deal. I took them off my '98 GS when I sold it.
Thanks but I'm going to stick with the plan, 4 tires and wheels for everyday driving.