tire size 275/50 vs 275/60 on stock rims

gnpete

What do you guys prefer: 275/50 or 275/60 on the rear? I plan to use on the street only with stock GN rims.
Up front I have 235/60. The fronts are BFG Radial T/A and am considering getting the same brand in the back.

Are the 50s going to appear/perceived as shorter than the front (since it is fatter?) Are the 60's going to be too tall?

Any of you guys have pics of the above?

thx, Pete

where are you located-i got a brand new pair of 275x60x15 for sale cheap-just used them to set up the suspension for slicks-matt

275/50 & 275/60 = DO NOT DO IT.

Those tires are to wide for the stock 7 inch rim.

You can put them on, but watching the sidewall buldge out like fat bastard in a sumo diaper is not a worth while risk I would take.

I would go with a 255/60 on the stock rim max.

There are tons of tire size threads on here, you can search through for hours and still not get half way through them all.
Tons of sizes that work and do not.

reply to gnpete...

gnpete, I'm using P275-60-15 on 8in. wide GN rims for the rear, and P235-60-15 for the front and they look just fine. I think that 50's series tires would look too small in diameter and would not fill the wheel opening as nice as 60's do, but this is just my personal taste... E-mail me for pics as I don't know how to post pics here...'bye Claude.

275's fit. They will rub around hard corners on your frame. It is a tight squeeze, but the majority of us wont have ANY problems.

Aren't the stock GN rims 8in ? I've read posts from the archives and it seems like a lot of guys are putting 275 on stock rims. My concern is the overall height(diameter) of the 50s being less than the fronts' 235/60s and the 60s being significantly taller than the fronts.

Originally posted by Spoolinup
275/50 & 275/60 = DO NOT DO IT.

Those tires are to wide for the stock 7 inch rim.

You can put them on, but watching the sidewall buldge out like fat bastard in a sumo diaper is not a worth while risk I would take.

I would go with a 255/60 on the stock rim max.

There are tons of tire size threads on here, you can search through for hours and still not get half way through them all.
Tons of sizes that work and do not.

As for any problems,

The stock GN wheels are 7 inchs wide, the 275/50 will have a section width of 10.8 inches and have a side wall buldge of 1.9 inches on each side.

The maximum any tire should safely be pushed (street tire) is 1.5 inches of side wall on each end.

I would not go recommending something that is not safe for others to do. Real easy for a blow out on a pot hole at 50 mph and then for what, so you can have cool looking tires on your GN.

If you want to go with 275/50's, do it on an 8 inch rim.

I might fit, but thats as far as that statements goes without possible life threatening problems.

Spoolinup,

I see your point (a good one too.)

I am using 275/50/15 Nittos DR's now and have been for the last 3 years. I have not had any problems with them other then a little rubbing on accidental HARD corners. As far as the bulge being unsafe, I never really thought about it, but it does make sense.

The 275/60's will actually bulge LESS than the 50's, so the 60's would be better from a safety standpoint (plus I think they look a LOT better).

Yep, the 50 will have more a buldge due to the ratio of tire height compared to section width. You loss tread width on the taller tire also. Its a trade off.

I think on the 7 inch rim a 255/60 is the best and safest choice.

But, different manufactures have slightly different section widths.
Check with them first.

I had 265/50's on my stock rims when I got the car. Looked like the tire wanted to jump right off the rim. I went to 295/50's on a 10 inch wide rim. Looks and grabs way better.

275/60's fit on a 7" rim. I had them on my first GN. They fill in the fenderwell nicely. They did however rub slighty on the inner frame when turning but nothing badly. I'd say go for the 275/60's all the way!!!! HTH Randall

Don't run a 275/50 if you have a faster car. I noticed that both my car and my friends car max out at 117mph in the 1/4 with the nitto 275/50's in 3rd gear (214/208 cam, seems to max out at 5500 rpm)

They do bulge out a little, but they still look ok and don't rub with alum drums.

a 255-60-15 BFG is a good looking tire for the rear of the cars, fills out the wheel wells real nice....

Just went to 275/60 BFG drag radials on my GN. American Torque Thrust 2 wheels, 15x7. Just a little clearance problem on hard turns on small section of the drivers side frame rail. I am going to have my welder massage that area. I think they look great. BFG recommends a 7-11 inch rim for this size tire. Doesn't seem to have much bulge to me. Don't think you will lose much contact patch with the taller tire as it will make it up in diameter of tire contacting the road vs a wider but shorter tire. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I have 275/60 Goodyear Eagle GT II's on stock GN wheels. They look nice. I see a rub mark on the passenger frame, but after changing to alum drums, I have an easy 3/4" clearance now. A little bulge but what the heck, they have a hot rod look.

thanks for all the replies guys!!

Toofast : thx for the pics
spoolin : thx for the warning (you have the right to say "I told you so" when/if my GN is parted out due to a mishap)
aintslow : thx for the rim specs

Since BFG has the 275/60s listed with a rim range of 7"-9.5" and most have recommended the 275/60 over the 275/50, I'm going to go with the 275/60s.

Will be posting pics soon, (hopefully before the blowout), Pete

If going with the 275/60's just be aware that your speedo will not be accurate anymore, you will have to change the speedometer gear in the trans. Think someone before posted that it is the black gear that you will need. Still need to change mine.

Will 275/60s clear if you are running stock aluminum wheels? I also do not have the frame notched. I asked this question before and everybody said stick with 275/50s. I would rather run the taller tires. If they will clear will they rub with passengers in the rear seat.

I am also planning on going with the 275/60-15 DR's when I pick up my car. Can someone post the pics of them on a car?

Also, please see my thread below about speedo recalibration.

Peter

Originally posted by gnpete
thanks for all the replies guys!!

Toofast : thx for the pics
spoolin : thx for the warning (you have the right to say "I told you so" when/if my GN is parted out due to a mishap)
aintslow : thx for the rim specs

Since BFG has the 275/60s listed with a rim range of 7"-9.5" and most have recommended the 275/60 over the 275/50, I'm going to go with the 275/60s.

Will be posting pics soon, (hopefully before the blowout), Pete
Pete I am trying to do the same as you, on the 87 gn I have 275/50s on the rear and on the front I have 235/60s which are still a 26" tire, the 275/60 is going to be a 28" tire, I was woundering what it would look like with the 26" in front and the 28" in the back, on the rosewood I am lookin at 275/60s rear and 225/70s for the front both are a 28" tall tire, let me know what you think. Jr.