Titanium valves

I find this post intresting. I have just pulled my heads because I started to put some pressure into the rad and found some small tracking in the gasket to the water passage. That problem will be addressed.

I had the heads sent over to the head shop be freshened up ( after 2 years and about 60 runs) and was told that all the SS exhaust valves are bent from heat :( I will be changing them to the inconel. It makes me wonder how long they have been dameged? The car has run high 9.80's to a best of 9.71 so it will be intresting to see the improvment with the new valves.

Take Care

while it is true that titanium comes from sand it is more comples process than super heating a beach, it is a multi-step chemical process that is very complicated, and this is where the cost comes from, but titanium is one of the must abundant metals on the earth, it is not an alloy of metals, it is an element, but when used in automotive uses it is usually alloyed with aluminum and vandium in about a 6 percent alum 4 percent vandium alloy. titanium is also known as a memory metal, it has almost spring qualitys, a bitch to bend, it also has a flaw, it has bad crack/scratch propagation problems, a small scratch or crack will shoot across a piece faster than a crack through a windshield, and one of the major reasons the titanium was used on the SR-71 was was its heat expansion was close to the alum under parts, if stainless was used, it does not move at the same rate of alum, and it would cause great stress to the airframe at temprature, the similar expansion rate is due to its loose grain structure , which is the reason for its low weight and cracking problem, so that is why used titanium valves should be replaced.
Grant J Farmer

Well, I think this has been dragged on a bit, I dont build aircraft, I build turbocharged Buick V6 racing engines and if a titanium valve is not pitted or bent, I will use it and use it with great success so if any of you guys want to trash your titanium valves, I will gladly take them off your hands and pay the shipping!!!!
Thanks,
Bill

Leaving in the AM for BG....C U There!

Bill
Your a funny guy:)
I will pay $1.00 a piece and shipping;)