to rebuild, or not to rebuild; that is the question

denn454

turbo swimmer
good ol' shakespear... anyways my car has 150k on the engine and from what i've heard with most other engines thats about the time to rebuild, or past time. someone on here told me that i don't need to rebuild unless theres some reason to rebuild. that sounds logical enough but i'm thinking its not worrth chancing it, my dad who was a very good mechanic for about 500 years is telling me REBUILD IT YOU STUPID KID!!!! are these engines build with close enough clearences that with good maintence you can get by with not rebuilding? one way or another i am going to be getting a knock gauge or some type of computer scan tool very soon so i'll be able to see how the engine is really doing. i do have a oil pressure gauge, it usually starts up at aetween 60-65 psi and once its warm idles a little under 20, i'm guessing its about 1 or 18 but the needel is pointing at a blank white part of the gauge... it has a very low pitched hum at highway speeds thats barely noticeable, i'm guessing its a tire, and a light noise, almost a light pinging or tick from the drivers side headder, i'm pretty sure its just air hitting the headder that could possible be cracked or something to make it make a noise, i don't think its anything serious i hear it in a lot of cars jsut not quite as loud, not that its really loud. any opinions or thoughts?

Last July, I "freshened" the motor in my T-type at 119k miles. I did bearings, T-chain and gear, valve springs, cam button, all new seals, blah blah blah........and its been fine. Very good power still even at 136K miles. I dont see a need for a full rebuild unless your cylinder walls are scraped/scored or your crank is in bad condition. Otherwise, (in my opinion) freshen it and go.

PS-Did the same in my GN a few years back, only difference is that I did a cam kit. (Comp Cams 206/206, lifters, springs, and double roller timing chain and gear.)

HTH