Today's menu......Smoked TH400

Chevota

Well.....it seems as though I've managed to kill my TH400. It took 2 years of 700hp SBC and one year of the v6 to accomplish this. (3 total) My question is, if I've done more damage than just burnt up the clutches I am seriously considering a built powerglide instead of the th400. What are my options, prices, and availability of a powerglide built to withstand some Buick torque in a 3000lb vehicle, transbrake not needed. Also, will I be able to utilize my current convertor? TIA.

-scott wile

You'll need to look at some catalogs on the convertor thing...

I know that the PG has some part issues with lots of power 800+ hp

PG however, can be quite expensive as well.

Fix the 400

You've got too much weight and not enough gear for a PowerGlide, especially a PowerGlide that doesn't cost $3K.

Man, that little Toyota is one of the coolest things I have seen in a longtime.....nice job!:)

Steve

the weight of the car could mandate a powerglide.you can use the 400 convertor if you put a turbo spline input shaft and stator support bushing in the pump.if you give me complete car info i can make a suggestion better suited here.in some cases the car may go faster if using a tighter convertor w/ the glide and the convertor can become the main factor of driving the car down the track after the car leaves the starting line .check out url below for glide information .

Thanx for the feedback and comments! It turns out that I cracked the case and a few other things. I've opted to rebuild it this one last time with heavy duty everything inside and a new case. If i break it again I'll definately go to aPG. Thanx again!!

-scott wile