Tomco MAF

TurBo BiRd

Strong Islander
I need a MAF and I was wondering what you guys think of the Tomco MAF. I can get a used original for $100 or a Tomco unit for $95...Which do you think I should go with?

Another thing i was wondering, on an aftermarket boost guage, How much vacuum should the needle be on at idle?

If I understand correctly, Napa carries the Echlin MAF that use the original Delco cores. I've heard good reports on those units, and I think they stock them at around 79 bucks.

Just a thought.....

Rich

Napa

I also heard that napa maf are the ones to get too. I bought one myself and I think it works great! 5,000 miles on it so far. I also went through the other remanufactured ones and they were crap.

George

George..

Let me ask you - since you bought the Echlin unit, does it use the stock Delco housing??

Rich

The Echlin/NAPA MAF does use the stock housing. They do seem to work good but are $102.00 (I think)

do NOT get a Tomco maf sensor!!! i bought one of these brand new and i had nothing but problems with it...

do yourself a favor and spend the extra cash and get the ls1 maf sensor and translator and your car will never run the same...my car runs PERFECT with this setup...driven everyday and still runs perfect...it was prolly the biggest driveability improvement you could make for a GN!

Rich, It looks identical to the stock unit. it even has that 90* bend where it plugs in. I paid just over 100 bucks for it a couple years ago. I really think it's the next best thing to original. I've tried Murray's and one other brand (can't remember) and they made the car run very rich and idle terrible. MY friend has a 20k mile GN
and when I bought my GN it had a bad maf. we put his maf on mine and solved the problem and when i finally bought napa's maf it ran exactly the same and ran great. It's very hard to find a good one and I think Napa does it right.

George

I agree with Don. Get an LT1 MAF + translator. Flows more air then the stocker and idles much much better

Hmmm.

My car runs great, but my MAF rarely, if ever, hits 255. (using TurboLink). I do get knock sometimes on WOT runs.

I want to replace my MAF sensor, but I need something reliable, as my GN is my daily driver.

So, my choices are:
new Echlin (w/ OEM # 25007866) from NAPA for $174.
re-man Echlin from NAPA for $99 + $27 core
LS1 MAF ($150) and translator ($179) for $329
LS1 MAF ($150) and translator plus ($279) and chip ($119) for $548.

Are these my options?

If I went the LS1 MAF and translator route, what would be the improvements?

Dont forget the LS1 MAF is 3.5" and not a direct bolt in. Slight modification has to be made for a 3" pipe and 3" K/N. The Impala SS LT1 MAF is 3" and with the translator bolts in in about 10-15 minutes.

If you get the standard Translator you can tune the MAF readings at idle and WOT richer or leaner. If you really like to tinker get the Trans + and Extender and you can modify just about everything including timing and fuel curve.

IMO you should at least get the Translator. 95% of us never exceed the airflow capability of a 3" MAF

hmmm...

well, I am short on funds right now, so I think I will just pick up the $99 remaned unit from NAPA.

HOWEVER, I am really big on the "air in, air out" concept, so I will get the biggest MAF that I can get when I have the funds. Prolly around the same time I get that V4...