Torque converter removal

Jeasen

I am trying to change the torque converter on my 1989 Turbo Trans Am.

I have the transmission out of the car and can not get the torque converter off the transmission. I have changed several turbo Buick torque converters in the past and they have always pulled right off the transmission. The tag on my transmission says TA F and the torque converter has the number 5 stamped all around the front edge where the buick torque has the D5 stamped.

I tried to pry the torque converter off and no sucess. any Ideas on how to get the torque converter off the input shaft of the transmission?:(
James

I got it off. The slines on the stator were all chewed up and were causing it to bind.
James:)

Stator

Well as you can read above the stator splines were all chewed up. There were three splines still in tact that match the wide areas in the torque converter so the stator did not totally fail.

I removed the pump and the stator and will replace it tomorrow when I can get a new stator. Why did the stator fail like this?

My transmission worked OK but did not shift as hard as the one in my Buick.

What can a novice automatic transmission mechanic do to this transmission to firm up the shifts now that the transmission is sitting on my garage floor?

Replace the TV valve with the .50 one? Install a shift kit? Aluminum servo? Up grade the front pump?

Any and all comments and information would be appreciated!

There are a few vendors on the board that sell good shift kits like Chris at CK. or Bruce at PTS. You will need to upgrade the pump with a 10 vane rotor, hardened stator support, and the large boost valves.

My transmission worked OK but did not shift as hard as the one in my Buick.

Any and all comments and information would be appreciated!

Ya, i doubt it does shift as hard, because that sucker was dubbed the 'neck snapper', I had a few law suits from people claiming whip lash! :biggrin:

Jim, are you putting in a 9/11??

-Adam

Torque converter

Yes, I am going to put in a 9/11. It is a 3000 stall. Plus I am going to add a switch to keep it from locking up and a switch to lock it up. I put the new hardened stator support in last night and reinstalled the pump. I decided not to change anything else at this time until I know if the transmission works OK. It worked fine when I pulled it out. The stator did not just go bad all of a sudden. It was something that took place over time. It still had three intact splines that matched the wide splines in the torque converter so it did not totally fail.

I can always address the boost valves, servo, and shift kit at a later date. Removing the transmission was no big deal. Now if it will only go back in as easy.

I probably will not have time to put the transmission back in until this weekend. I can't wait to see how the torque converter changes the personality of the car. No one ever answered my questions about the torque converter, stator support or the transmission so I am going to continue to think that the torque converter I removed was not the stock one that came with the car. I have no idea why the stator support was all chewed up like it was. It would be nice to know what causes them to do this. Anyone?
James

Excessive stator support wear is common on a stock 200-4r and not just on GN's. The support was not made hard enough to handle the loads put on it by the stator. I have seen them where they were perfectly smooth where the splines use to be. Can you post a picture of the worn support?

Stator support

I am somewhat computer challenged. Not sure how to post a picture to this board. I am able to take the picture and would be glad to post it if someone could tell me how. Thanks for your reply s Mikestertwo.
James

Stator Support

Any idea what causes them to go bad. I do not fully understand how torque converters work or what the stator support does.

Does power breaking and burn outs cause this problem? How about hard acceleration and then letting off quickly? Just trying to understand.

Torque converter is a Fluid coupling.

Howstuffworks "How Torque Converters Work"

The power/tq of the motor is conducted through the Converter and is connected to the trans via the splined shaft that is where the wear comes from.

If you have ever had a shower or faucet handle wear out on the splined area. Your hand opening and closing the handle over time is the same as the engines power conducted through the converter on the splined shaft. Over time/higher hp than the metalurgy can handle...hence the wear on teh splines

Stator Support

Turbo nasty & mikester two thanks for your replys. I forgot about that site How Stuff Works. The torque converter explaination helped me understand how torque converters work.

Jurassic five 7 Thanks for your help with posting a picture.

Now everyone keep your fingers crossed so that this transmission works like it did before I started this project. If not I will be pulling it again so I can send it off to the rebuild shop.
James