torque question?

chumanga

im gettin ready to torque mains and heads on my motor and was curious if using an extension changes what you are actually torqing a bolt to? i will probably be using a 6" extension for heads and intake manifold... should i raise it 5 lbs? or will it be the same?

thanks, sorry if this is wrong forum for this q.

A friend of mine asked this just the other day to me when he was torqueing down lug nuts, saying he thought that using an extension changed the torque...
Since torque is the measure of twisting force, I don't see how an extension would change that because you are not changing the center point/axis in which you are twisting around...it is still the center of the nut/bolt head.
There is no added leverage taken away or being added by using an extension.

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
A friend of mine asked this just the other day to me when he was torqueing down lug nuts, saying he thought that using an extension changed the torque...
Since torque is the measure of twisting force, I don't see how an extension would change that because you are not changing the center point/axis in which you are twisting around...it is still the center of the nut/bolt head.
There is no added leverage taken away or being added by using an extension.

This is true, but if you get a small degree off perpendicular, it will effect the torque a little bit.

If you are 10 degrees off perpendicular to a bolt, the resulting torque will be about 1.5% less (Cosine of the angle) than what the torque wrench is set at.

That doesn't seem to be enough to worry about.

Never thought of this before, but I wonder how use of universal joints would affect the end result torque...??? Like when putting the oil pan back on.

well im borrowin the tw from my girlfriends dad and he mentioned it he read in the instructions that it said to add like 5 lbs when using an extension but the instructions arent with it anymore... so i dunno and he couldnt remember and ive never heard that b4 so thought i would ask. thanks for the replies