totally stock 87gn with ta-49 boosting slow

A feul pump with hotwire kit adj. fuel psi regulator either clean your injectors if stock or upgrade and a chip from Eric, also a scanmaster or another way to monitor everything and a good boost gauge if you don't wannna go crazy now if you wanna up the boost a bit you'll need and adj. wastegate

Ok with all the info given I'm thinking the stock turbo is a good idea for me. I really don't think changing out all these parts is what I'm looking to do. I would like a little more ummpff but wanna keep the car decency stock. Sounds like fuel, chip, exhaust and intake may be the type stuff I'm looking for. Almost have came to the conclusion that I have lost hp going to this 49, as is, over stock. Guess you have to build around a turbo. Ok thank you guys and I may be interested in that used turbo.

Its all about combination. Parts have to match or something suffers. The stock tq converter and stock turbo are a match.

Power on these cars is boost and timing. Your limited on boost due to octane. The higher the octane you run, the higher the boost you can run, the more power it will make. In simple terms. When your limited to a certain PSI due to octane, the fastest spooling turbo is what will make you the happiest.

Typical first mods.. scanmaster, injectors, adj fuel pressure reg, 160 stat, adjustable WG actuator, fuel pump+hotwire, and a modern chip. That will allow you to tweak what you have. Once you get the boost to 16-17 PSI.. and you start seeing a little knock readings.. then its phase 2.. increase octane through the use of race gas or put on alcohol injection.

Your car with the above will pickup like 100 to the tire and feel like a totally different animal. This is how you get a Buick into the low 12's/11's vs 14-15 second 1/4 miles stock. Fastest stock turbo car is 11.3 on a 130K mile motor.

HTH and keep reading.. you'll learn a lot on this board.

Ok with all the info given I'm thinking the stock turbo is a good idea for me. I really don't think changing out all these parts is what I'm looking to do. I would like a little more ummpff but wanna keep the car decency stock. Sounds like fuel, chip, exhaust and intake may be the type stuff I'm looking for. Almost have came to the conclusion that I have lost hp going to this 49, as is, over stock. Guess you have to build around a turbo. Ok thank you guys and I may be interested in that used turbo.

Had a local club member run 87mph on the stock turbo/IC/trans/converter/motor, tuned with an OTC4000E.
Mods were: TT 5.6 chip/injectors, Alky control injection, intake filter.
(Did I mention TT chip and Alky Control kit? :tongue:)
With JUST these changes, the car acted like a different car on the street.

He wanted more so he added the PL, WB, FM, TE44, TT Sd chip, exhaust, tires, HW, blah blah . . . . and than the trans started slipping . . . . so he went slower. :eek:

Its all about combination. Parts have to match or something suffers. The stock tq converter and stock turbo are a match.

Power on these cars is boost and timing. Your limited on boost due to octane. The higher the octane you run, the higher the boost you can run, the more power it will make. In simple terms. When your limited to a certain PSI due to octane, the fastest spooling turbo is what will make you the happiest.

Typical first mods.. scanmaster, injectors, adj fuel pressure reg, 160 stat, adjustable WG actuator, fuel pump+hotwire, and a modern chip. That will allow you to tweak what you have. Once you get the boost to 16-17 PSI.. and you start seeing a little knock readings.. then its phase 2.. increase octane through the use of race gas or put on alcohol injection.

Your car with the above will pickup like 100 to the tire and feel like a totally different animal. This is how you get a Buick into the low 12's/11's vs 14-15 second 1/4 miles stock. Fastest stock turbo car is 11.3 on a 130K mile motor.

Razor is right best formula h have seen for a completely stock car

Sweet. Thanks Razor and everyone else. I think the caveman explanation of turbo, converter, octane description has opened my eyes. Haha. Even I can do it!

awesome, thanks razor but I'm a little confused. Are you meaning these upgrades with stock turbo or the 49?

Using the stock turbo

The 49 needs a converter to make it zip up like the stocker.

I was in the same boat 2 years ago...wanted basically stock with a bit more "GO" and more reliable. I bought a bone-stock GN with 42k. I'm not a turbo guy either but the reading through this site (plus asking a few questions) resulted in the combo of TA 49 turbo with the stock Garrett exhaust, plus a Walbro 340 hotwire, adjustable wastegate, 60 lb injectors, Turbo Tweak chip burned for the above combo on 104 octane plus a Scanmaster, pillar mount oil pressure + knock guage. It is fun to drive, looks stock and tells me what is going on. Lots to learn on this site !

Pat's 12" 2800 stall would be fine for you.

Sweet. Looks like im in the market for a converter. What did you go with?

Now here starts pandoras box.. you need to look at what shape the transmission is in. See if your transmissions clutches are wore out.. you put the converter on.. it will finish killing the trans. If you drop the pan and there is no clutch debris.. you have an all clear to swap the converter.

Converter choices.. as above the Pats 12 inch, Protorque 12 inch, the 12 inch orange stripe club converter, etc They are all basically the same.. and buy it new.. never buy a used converter unless you can trust the source.

Up and Down on the Buick trans is pretty straight forward and can be done with minimal tools.

HTH

Ta49

The Precision Turbo website states the TA49 will support 545HP.
What do you need to do to obtain this HP fiqure? How much boost, injector size, downpipe, fuel pump, intercooler, chip, alky injection, etc?