You can type here any text you want

Tough 1st year fellas. Need some comfort

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
You dont even want to see my list of things I had to fix on my 12,000 dollar car...as many things as you would expect with a 3000 dollar junker. I never was able to get the car fast since every dime went toward fixing things that kept going wrong over a 3 year period. It was my daily driver, 70 miles a day, and took more attention than a wife expects to keep it going. I finally started getting it steady and reliable, and my turbo died and dumped 4 quarts of oil in about 30 seconds into my motor. You've never seen so much smoke out of a pair of tailpipes. I got it fixed thanks to Lou Czarnota. Then I stripped all the paint off the drivers side (my clean color sanded black paint started cracking open...(like 8 inch long cracks everywhere), and spent each weekend doing bodywork, preparing it for paint. I was so close to having a nice car, when the motor went. What sucked is I never even got to jump on it and really enjoy the power. I tore the heads off and rebuilt the heads, hoping that head gaskets were the reason for 60 lbs in cylinder 5, and the massive blowby blowing oil out of the dipstick tube. Did everything in the dark, in the rain, and got sick for about a week. Got it back together and it still had low compression, and now it was blowing steam out of teh tailpipes. So now it was worse. Some nanotechnology coolant sealant crap worked, but now I'm still not done with bodywork...this is taking forever with big panels/big repairs.

Sounds Familiar!

You dont even want to see my list of things I had to fix on my 12,000 dollar car...as many things as you would expect with a 3000 dollar junker. I never was able to get the car fast since every dime went toward fixing things that kept going wrong over a 3 year period. It was my daily driver, 70 miles a day, and took more attention than a wife expects to keep it going. I finally started getting it steady and reliable, and my turbo died and dumped 4 quarts of oil in about 30 seconds into my motor. You've never seen so much smoke out of a pair of tailpipes. I got it fixed thanks to Lou Czarnota. Then I stripped all the paint off the drivers side (my clean color sanded black paint started cracking open...(like 8 inch long cracks everywhere), and spent each weekend doing bodywork, preparing it for paint. I was so close to having a nice car, when the motor went. What sucked is I never even got to jump on it and really enjoy the power. I tore the heads off and rebuilt the heads, hoping that head gaskets were the reason for 60 lbs in cylinder 5, and the massive blowby blowing oil out of the dipstick tube. Did everything in the dark, in the rain, and got sick for about a week. Got it back together and it still had low compression, and now it was blowing steam out of teh tailpipes. So now it was worse. Some nanotechnology coolant sealant crap worked, but now I'm still not done with bodywork...this is taking forever with big panels/big repairs.

Sounds oh so familiar! My 14,000 car is sitting in two pieces out in the garage. As for my wife, she doesn't even say anything anymore. She just walks by the chassis and kicks it about twice a day, mumbles something about a new dress and slams the door on the way into the house. :biggrin:
I did manage to get a 12 sec pass out of the stock motor before something let loose in the bottom end. Thats what started the frame off and current engine/trans build we are currently working on. Thanks Don, Randy and Chris, see ya at BG!

Try first tough 4 years............good thing I have a 240sx dd with 184k:eek: and that thing runs like a top, and i beat the balls off of it everyday. Seems to be a common occurance with these cars, ALOT of money, and even more aggrivation

No Better Feeling!

Yeah, but there is no better feeling than when it's dialed in and you are making the 8cyl guys choke with your "little 6". :wink:

Where's the tranny leaking? I had a leak that turned out to be the real seal on the tail. It was dried out and oval. A new one stopped that problem quick. I have found that if I drive the car every few days (when the weather here is good) there are less leaks.

I love when guys ask a question then bail and never come back.
So whats the verdict? You check those lines where they criss cross under the motor/above the K-member?

thats the joy of older cars, I hear you on the money aspect of it. on the plus side at least you get a project to play around with...there is something about diagnosing and fixing a car issue that feels good.

I've had my TA for a year now and have hardly worked on it, makes me feel like less of a car enthusiast not being under the hood of something.

As others posted above--your not alone--my 84 had 53000 miles and I've replaced oil pump, radiator, O2 sensor, belts, hoses, etc. etc, just like everyone else did...I guess you figure on that when you buy a 20+ year old car...Just enjoy it when its done!!!

As for my wife, she doesn't even say anything anymore. She just walks by the chassis and kicks it about twice a day, mumbles something about a new dress and slams the door on the way into the house. :biggrin:

LOL! I've dealt with that! :biggrin:

i have spent more than double what i paid for the car to get it where it needs to be. had the car 7 months spun 3 bearings had to do a total rebuild. during those 7 months had thousands in repairs done for little things but they all added up. front cover, injectors, valve covers, tranny, cat, chips, all sorts of stuff hang in there.

Bought an 87 GN with 47,000 mile and a strong thumbs up from my mechanic 1 year ago. I've put 500 miles on it this year and it needed new tires, then a new radiator, then a new O2 sensor, then a new main seal (massive oil leak), then a new brake system, then a new this and a new that........

Well anyway I turn her on and let it idle for 5 minutes once a week and now I'm seeing a small 4 inch puddle of tranny fluid on the ground. AM I IN BIG TROUBLE?? I don't even drive the thing and it consistently breaks. Any ideas??

This is your only problems? Take it out for a "spin", you'll forget all of those minor issues:biggrin: most of us have self changing oil and tranny fluid anyway. Welcome to the turbo Buick world:cool:

Drive it more! Sitting up is one of the worse things on a car in my opion. Seals dry out, condensation forms, etc. Drive it at least every other week and make sure you drive it at least 20 mins or so. Get everything hot and lubed good. Daniel

This is great! I bought an 86 GN in September, since then I've chased down all sorts of vacuum leaks, electrical shorts, new powermaster...... not to mention all of the cosmetic issues.

My advice, read as much as you can, buy the shop manuals, the body manual, Kirbans book, check the message boards and ask questions just like you are now. The poeple here are an excellent resource!

Buy some wrenches and don't be afraid!!!

Back