TPS screw size or tricks to make it stay put??

84ttype

Lately when I drive the car the TPS has been moving on me(not in a good way), I'll have it set at .42 idle take the car out and after a couple WOT blast the idle will be at .50 or higher. I spent an hour at the hardware store the other day looking for replacement screws with a hex or allen wrench head to get some more torque on it, the closest I could come up with is a 10/32 bolt but the threads are a different pitch and I can only screw it in a couple turns. Does anyone out know any tricks or better yet know the actual bolt size for the TPS?? I can only tighten it so far with a screwdriver.

Should be a spring on the screw to help hold it from vibrating in/out. Otherwise maybe a small amount of RTV to gum up the threads and hold it in place would work. Whats the voltage from the battery/alt after your runs, maybe the alt is putting out too much voltage which in turn is skewing your TPS readings, just a thought, but maybe not a common thing.

I don't have springs on either screws were are they located? Between the screw and the small hold down plate, or between that plate and the throttle body?

A pic might help if you could do that.

the spring is on the aic control. the two screws are on the sensor and have you tried lock tight.

Yea, Im a bit confused as to what exactly is loosening, is it the TPS itself or the 'idle control' screw? The latter has the spring, the TPS itself doesnt. If it's the TPS itself, are you sure its loosening and actually moving or maybe its bad?

Otherwise, make sure to pull it towards you when adjusting it or you pressing the gas could possibly move it.

Check your computer wiring harness. My GN would drop out the tps volts at random to .04V, and sometimes would get erratic idle voltage readings. The "U" shaped pin in the computer harness was elongated out and didnt make a very good contact on the computer pin causing the issue. Its worth checking........ trust me...... HTH

I have tightened up loose threads by wraping dental floss in the threads and then screwing it into the hole. Works great. Jon Hanson

Tps

Check and make sure the locking tab on the nut that holds the throttle plate to throttle linkage has not broke and is letting the nut back off and you think its in the TPS. Trust me I know.;)

Thanks for the help guys I was talking about the two screws that hold the TPS to the throttle body, put some fuel line tape around the threads(Its all I could find around the garage) it seems to be working for the time being though. I wish i knew the thread size for the screws still so I could swap them out for something else.