TR-6 On Twin Turbo

Joey I did something similar with mine, except I came of the top valve cover bolts View attachment 320256View attachment 320256View attachment 320257. Sorry for the dirt haven’t had a chance to clean it yet this year

No apoligies required for a little dirt or patina.

Doing the crazy shit I do isn't for everyone. Nor is the extensive redesign of an entire set-up just to put a few coils on. If you were able to mount them securely and electrically correct, then they are there to get a job done!

I would do the same as you if I never had gone as far as I have. But I'm afraid for me it is too late. I am now governed by the package that proceeds every modification I make from here on end.

Just when I thought a TR engine bay couldn't possibly look any better... You prove me wrong.

Thank you for the write up on this.
This continuing post has been the best read for me all year. I look forward to logging on after work and seeing the progress you have made...it is like reading a good novel.
I don't have your eye or patience, but your work is appreciated. I hope other's recognition offsets the irritation you feel making such a beautiful car.
-M

I hope other's recognition offsets the irritation you feel making such a beautiful car.

Well, that's certainly a creative way of putting it.:)

And yes. Reading everybody's kind words makes it all worth it and inspires me to move ahead onto the next science/art project.

Bob Bailey,

If your still out there somewhere, I remember you asked me to let you know if the Holley Smart Coils worked with your TR-6 and Hartlines XFI 2-Step conversion module.

The answer.....

So far, Flawlessly!

Everything seems A-OK. But I haven't gotten it out on the road yet. I warmed it up good and got all the juices flowing and condensation burned off. Then I checked the tune and nothing major seems to have changed since shut down last September. The O2 Correction, idle characteristics, temperature normalities, fluid pressures, even the sound was the same.

Then I set the 2-Step paremeter in the XFI for a low 3,500 RPM just to test.

Then I put my finger on the trans-brake and matted the pedal. The neighbors just love when I do that!

Revved and stuttered exactly at 3,500. Done!

This thread brings a tear to my eye.....:cry: We must be brothers from another Mother. lol It is AWESOME to see stuff like this. It's one thing to just install parts with no attention to detail and close the hood, but it is another thing to put a lot of thought into making it look like it belongs on display. It doesn't just look good, it goes as fast as it looks. Kudos to you, that is BEAUTIFUL!!! well done!!! :love:

In all of my years of playing around with these cars, going to the GS Nationals and seeing all of the different combos and engine bays, I have to say, this is the most fantastic worksmanship and attention to detail that I have ever seen on a Turbo Buick too date. Words can not describe the amount of awesomeness that this engine bay deserves. I too have been anxiously awaiting for more update posts on your progress. I wish we had a Readers Rides Forum section, similar to the Pics and Videos forum, but more project / progress oriented, as your car would set the perfect example for, patience, time spent, attention to detail, the addiction that these cars have on us all and classic hot rodding techniques. Your car deserves to be featured in magazines with a real write up. Not just the regular news stand mags, but something like Hemmings or Dupont Registry. A magazine with big glossy paper that would make a nice addition to any car collection.

Back in the day, your car would be a front page featured car in GM High Tech Performance. I would love to see more pics when you start showing it out in the wild. Your work is truly award winning and a serious inspirational example to all of us who turn wrenches on these beasts as a hobby. One thing that came to mind when you were mentioning the Cottons logo needing a new spot, was something I have seen on other cars, and I even did one on my "05 GTO. That was a custom designed and engraved build plaque with his logo and other pertinent info on the setup for the radiator support or another location. I've seen some really tasteful ones on other non Buick's in the past, that would really compliment the look.

Thank you for sharing your painstaking efforts with your car. If this doesn't help motivate others to start working on their own rides, then I don't know what could. I know one thing though, this thread definitely deserves to be a sticky and not just fade away into oblivion. It has definitely motivated me to sharpen my attention to detail with my own car and I thank you for that.

Excellent work.

-Patrick-

Last edited:
This thread brings a tear to my eye.....:cry: We must be brothers from another Mother. lol It is AWESOME to see stuff like this. It's one thing to just install parts with no attention to detail and close the hood, but it is another thing to put a lot of thought into making it look like it belongs on display. It doesn't just look good, it goes as fast as it looks. Kudos to you, that is BEAUTIFUL!!! well done!!! :love:
In all of my years of playing around with these cars, going to the GS Nationals and seeing all of the different combos and engine bays, I have to say, this is the most fantastic worksmanship and attention to detail that I have ever seen on a Turbo Buick too date. Words can not describe the amount of awesomeness that this engine bay deserves. I too have been anxiously awaiting for more update posts on your progress. I wish we had a Readers Rides Forum section, similar to the Pics and Videos forum, but more project / progress oriented, as your car would set the perfect example for, patience, time spent, attention to detail, the addiction that these cars have on us all and classic hot rodding techniques. Your car deserves to be featured in magazines with a real write up. Not just the regular news stand mags, but something like Hemmings or Dupont Registry. A magazine with big glossy paper that would make a nice addition to any car collection.

Back in the day, your car would be a front page featured car in GM High Tech Performance. I would love to see more pics when you start showing it out in the wild. Your work is truly award winning and a serious inspirational example to all of us who turn wrenches on these beasts as a hobby. One thing that came to mind when you were mentioning the Cottons logo needing a new spot, was something I have seen on other cars, and I even did one on my "05 GTO. That was a custom designed and engraved build plaque with his logo and other pertinent info on the setup for the radiator support or another location. I've seen some really tasteful ones on other non Buick's in the past, that would really compliment the look.

Thank you for sharing your painstaking efforts with your car. If this doesn't help motivate others to start working on their own rides, then I don't know what could. I know one thing though, this thread definitely deserves to be a sticky and not just fade away into oblivion. It has definitely motivated me to sharpen my attention to detail with my own car and I thank you for that.

Excellent work.

-Patrick-

Earlier today I visited this thread and saw both of your responses. Also I noticed all the "likes" from Ray and other forum members. I then needed to walk away and think for a while.

Now, later this evening, I thought I would know what to say. And I'm no better off than I was earlier.

Guys, I never expected this sort of feedback from this thread. I love all these cars! And I do these little projects and then love to share what I do with others who feel as I do. So yes, maybe I show off a little. But this is totally beyond what I expected from you guys. After reading your comments, it nearly brought tears to my eyes.

I mean for God's sake's all I did was put a few coils on! Now I wonder what everyone would have said if I posted my entire twin turbo build 13 years ago! Even my girlfriend seemed a little shocked at the responses.

I've received quite a few pats on the back from many over the years. But most times, it comes from the local general hot-rodding community. Mostly they recognize my Buick as being a super clean often driven street car. But that's about it. Most of these guys could never understand how much of my combination required creativity, problem solving, and fabrication. And also how this needed to be combined with quality components offered by our vendors.

But you guys can! And this is why it touches me so deeply when I get recognition from my Buick Brothers. But even this goes beyond a little recognition. I mean, for God's sake, I'll say it again! It's just a few coils!

I'm still not even able to convey how emotional this is for me. All I can say is how humbly thankful I am over and over again.

Thank's guys.

So, How does it drive compared to how it was before the upgrade ?
Like I stated above, I only started it, warmed it up, and got the juices flowing.

There wasn’t enough time this past weekend to get it out on the road. But it idles and revs as it did before. And I’m not expecting any much of a difference. My main reasons for the upgrade was to modernize, provide reliability, and to continue to keep building on the “cool” factor. I’m sure there’s benefits to having a hotter spark. But I’m unlikely to see any real gains because I don’t run very high boost.

I’m going to make an attempt to get it back to my house for some of it’s spring cleaning and detailing this weekend.

Only when this work is complete, will it be brought out onto the highway for a couple of mild shake-out runs.

Then I’ll let you guys know.

I've seen Joey's car in person for many of years its absolutely spectacular inside and out ,its a work of art, he opens the hood its like your looking into a jewelry box filled with diamonds.. the craftsmanship and detail is second to none

And its dam fast too, I was at cecil when it ran off a 9.67 on low boost like a silver torpedo. I can only imagine what it would run turned up!

Now I know why you've been MIA joey! cant wait to see the updates in person !

I've seen Joey's car in person for many of years its absolutely spectacular inside and out ,its a work of art, he opens the hood its like your looking into a jewelry box filled with diamonds.. the craftsmanship and detail is second to none

And its dam fast too, I was at cecil when it ran off a 9.67 on low boost like a silver torpedo. I can only imagine what it would run turned up!

Now I know why you've been MIA joey! cant wait to see the updates in person !
I am so sorry I haven't been around! You guys have no idea how much I miss our little events, road trips and gatherings. Most of all, I miss the conversation. I went through a bit of a rough patch a year or 2 ago, and since then, it seems I'm on full throttle auto-pilot!

Funny thing is I have been out to Long Island almost daily. But It's always for work with no time to spare. If you notice, my posts come through to the forum at some very strange hours. Sometimes at 4 AM, sometimes at noon, sometimes at 1 Am. It's all over the place! This is why I work on the Buick for very short broken time spans at odd-ball hours.

As you may know, I'm have been involved with school renovation projects recently. And the ongoing plague of psycho school violence is forcing districts to make changes fast. This work can be extensive and all of this must be done with minimal disturbance to school's day to day operations. So, It's going to be a wild Summer!

The girls are trying to force me to go away for a week before things get real crazy.

I could go on and on.......But I do want you guys to know how much I miss you all.

I'm still trying to predict the likelihood of making it up to Lebanon Valley for Muscle Palooza. And of course, I need to get out to see you guys as well this Summer!

I am so sorry I haven't been around! You guys have no idea how much I miss our little events, road trips and gatherings. Most of all, I miss the conversation. I went through a bit of a rough patch a year or 2 ago, and since then, it seems I'm on full throttle auto-pilot!

Funny thing is I have been out to Long Island almost daily. But It's always for work with no time to spare. If you notice, my posts come through to the forum at some very strange hours. Sometimes at 4 AM, sometimes at noon, sometimes at 1 Am. It's all over the place! This is why I work on the Buick for very short broken time spans at odd-ball hours.

As you may know, I'm have been involved with school renovation projects recently. And the ongoing plague of psycho school violence is forcing districts to make changes fast. This work can be extensive and all of this must be done with minimal disturbance to school's day to day operations. So, It's going to be a wild Summer!

The girls are trying to force me to go away for a week before things get real crazy.

I could go on and on.......But I do want you guys to know how much I miss you all.

I'm still trying to predict the likelihood of making it up to Lebanon Valley for Muscle Palooza. And of course, I need to get out to see you guys as well this Summer!
All cool joey we will always be around, no rush! Vic isn't on here much I will pass the word on.

WOW just WOW. I truly love the workmanship and attention to detail you are gifted buddy. Cheers on a job well done!!!!