trans fluid

turbo tom

What kind should I put in a newly rebuilt 2004r and how many quarts do I need including the torque converter?

If it's a newly built (dry) trans you'll need around 10-11 quarts. I use Dex III, it's what my trans builder recommends.:)

DEC 3 like everyone said. make sure you fill the converter before installing it on the trans. as far as how much oil. depends on the pan you are running.

I prefer type F and use it in all my cars with an auto trans. Dont belive the horror stories that it will hurt or ruin the trans, the only thing it will do is make the trans shift crisper or harder (depending on how you look at it) because of different friction modifiers in it.

I use Lucas Semi Syn. in my race car. I use to fill my converter before installing until my tranny guy who builds a ton of tranny's for race cars said don't worry about it. It will fill up as soon as you start the car. Just put a little around the seal surface. He and another guy who builds PG for racers both say you won't do any damage to anything if you don't fill it.
I just had my old converter cut open after 10 years and they said it was still in great shape.

I use Lucas Semi Syn. in my race car. I use to fill my converter before installing until my tranny guy who builds a ton of tranny's for race cars said don't worry about it. It will fill up as soon as you start the car. Just put a little around the seal surface. He and another guy who builds PG for racers both say you won't do any damage to anything if you don't fill it.
I just had my old converter cut open after 10 years and they said it was still in great shape.

That is great to know. But for peace of mind, I will continue to fill it up.

The converer is usually assembled with some small amount of assembly lube on the parts. They wil also fill up in seconds IF there is enough in the pan to fll them.
It doesn't need to be "filled" on install, but adding a half qt is good insurance, so they at least have some lube besides whatever they may have on assembly.