Trans fluid ?

josh young

I'm about to swap out the TC on the Buick, and was wondering the best fluid to go back with would be. I searched here and seen suggestions from type F to DexIII to DexVI. Would Mobil 1 Dex VI be the best to use? I've read where Nick uses it in his strip setups. This car is just a street car and may never see the strip more than once or twice. What do you guys think? Mobil 1 Dex VI non syn. or is there something else I should go with ? Thanks guys!

Type F..... 9 second passes and no problems at all. Tends to take the heat better than Dex

My vote is for Dex III or type F. Being from the Dmax/Allison world I am much more familiar with that setup. When GM first started using Dex VI in the Allisons, tranny builders were noticing how the fluid couldn't hold up to the abuse as good as Dex III could. It seems the fluid has gotten a little better since but when I personally built the trans in my truck I was advised by more than a couple top Allison builders NOT to use Dex VI in it.

I know this doesn't really equate since this is all about the fluid in a 200R4. My opinion on this is if your trans is stock, I would suggest Dex III or Type F since those clutches weren't designed to use with synthetic fluids of today.

Now if you have a built trans its simple......ask your builder what they recommend.

I do not want to start a pissin' contest, but the data and specs for DEX VI clearly shows it has a much higher flash point and higher temp life than DEX III or Type F based upon specs I have researched?

Simple fact, higher the temp, the shorter is fluid life.

My personal experience with Type F in a few performance transmissions was not good, it was black as it would only last less than 20 passes with trans brake launches, while Dex VI was just fine after an entire season of racing.

I do not know of any trans builder that would use stock clutches in a rebuild, as the newer stuff is light years advanced in technology, but even with "stock" GN's we have never seen an issue.

GM had to come up with a product that would survive 100,000 miles for their warranty including HD pickups subjected to lots of abuse, so their answer is DEX VI.

We only do about 30 GN performance transmissions a year and we, and our customers, are very satisfied using DEX VI. :)

I do not want to start a pissin' contest, but the data and specs for DEX VI clearly shows it has a much higher flash point and higher temp life than DEX III or Type F based upon specs I have researched?

Simple fact, higher the temp, the shorter is fluid life.

My personal experience with Type F in a few performance transmissions was not good, it was black as it would only last less than 20 passes with trans brake launches, while Dex VI was just fine after an entire season of racing.

I do not know of any trans builder that would use stock clutches in a rebuild, as the newer stuff is light years advanced in technology, but even with "stock" GN's we have never seen an issue.

GM had to come up with a product that would survive 100,000 miles for their warranty including HD pickups subjected to lots of abuse, so their answer is DEX VI.

We only do about 30 GN performance transmissions a year and we, and our customers, are very satisfied using DEX VI. :)

Nor do I, I wasnt trying to say it was or wasnt a higher rated fluid, just sharing what I've learned.

I dont know of any builders that would either, I meant it as I was assuming his trans is stock and never opened.

The HD trucks never got the 100k mile warranty until recently.

I'm glad you do, seriously. And I have zero problem running whatever fluid the builder of my trans recommends, be it you or anyone else I choose when my time comes. Unless I do it myself at which point, I'm still going to ask whoever I get the rebuild kit from their recommendation. I was just sharing my experiences about Allison's and Dex VI.....which I know is a little pointless in this forum :)

It seems like the Dex VI is the popular choice. The trans. has been built in the car. From what I can come up with, I believe Rick at Richardson Import Auto did it. I will probably go with the Dex VI in Mobil 1, that's what I've always run in my Syclone. Thanks guys!

What Vince said ^^^^^^^
My trans guy is strictly Amsoil. I've run it in my 200, 400, and now in the 4L80E. Cheap?? Nope.

Take a look at the Note listed at the bottom..... I dont want any "slippage"

AMSOIL Supershift Racing
Transmission Fluid

Specially formulated for high horsepower and torque conditions. AMSOIL Supershift Racing Transmission fluid provides quick, solid shifts. Automatic transmissions do not slip, helping racers improve on elapsed times.

Delivers unmatched friction reduction and reduced wear so clutch plates and transmissions last longer. Provides maximum torque transfer and brake power while resisting oxidation and thermal breakdown.

Reduces transmission temperatures up to 50º F and increases transmission life. .

Clutches, bearings and bushings last longer, saving money on transmission repairs.

AMSOIL Supershift Transmission Fluid benefits:

• Quick, solid shifts

• Longer transmission life

• Lower transmission temperatures

AMSOIL Supershift Transmission Fluid applications:

• Racing vehicles

• Monster trucks

• Trailer towing

• Buses, moving vans, box trucks
Meets and exceeds these specifications:

• Caterpillar TO-4

• Allison C-4

• Ford Type F
Note: Not recommended as a replacement for Ford Mercon, GM Dexron or Chrysler ATF+ type fluids where slippage is desired for smooth operation.

Take a look at the Note listed at the bottom..... I dont want any "slippage"..................

Clint, it does say "Automatic transmissions do not slip, helping racers improve on elapsed times" but they do slip to some extent, so the next question is "how much"?

Since this statement does come out of the advertising department, not the tech area where where they would need to define and show data of the difference or gain of "elapsed times", how much value is this to the average performance or race car?

I have lost a race by a few thou, but I seriously doubt that if I was using their product that would make any difference?

Amsoil certainly is a good product, and most owners and racers are concerned about reliability as well as long life from their trans, and there are many opinions and choices of fluids, I just report what has worked well for us, there certainly other choices just as good, or maybe better. :)

My point here is not to just "bust your chops" which I love to do, but to point out any Ad Dept. is going to put out their hype for sales! ;)

I always had good luck with Type F fluid in my old drag car with a Turbo 400 , never had problem with trans or converter in 6 yrs of drag racing