trans seems to drag in 1st gear.....

tpabayflyer

My 87 GN has about 140K miles with a stock trans and it just does not seem to accelerate well in 1st gear..... when the car shifts into 2nd it is like I am all of a sudden shot out of a cannon??? I have a problem with the tq converter not unlocking at low speeds after extended highway running. I do have the replacement solenoid to hopefully repair this problem but I was wondering if this would also cause the trans to somehow"drag" in first gear only??? It has been doing this for a while now and I was curious if this has happened to anyone else?? TIA TBF

hrmm

Could you be dragging the 2nd gear band? Or if the high clutch was trying to apply it would do that too. Also, if the Low reverse clutch was too tight this could also happen. Somethin aint right and you had better figure it out soon or you will be throwing more coin at it to fix it again. I would run it so/so hard then pull down and see what damage is there. once you know where, you can backtrack from there to confirm.It is like a huge flowchart only frustrating and not fun!

bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Is it actually building boost in 1st gear at all ? This sounds more like a tuning problem than a tranny problem to me, especially if its a bone stock tranny that hasn't been messed with.

Its a little slow building boost in first since I put in the TE-44 but it definately gets up to 17psi no problem..... I am wondering if maybe the trans is in fact slipping and not "dragging" somewhat.
If it slips in first only, that could possibly explain what is happening. I guess I could see if I can roast the tires in first and that should be a pretty good clue if the trans is slipping or not.

The bottom line here is that the car just does not want to accelerate hard in first gear and when it shifts into second, BAM
it pulls instantly just like it should and continues through 3rd etc. pulling just fine....... I'll take the car for a ride today and report back. Thanks for the help so far.... TBF

I also should mention again that I do have the problem of the tq converter not wanting to unlock after extended highway driving. I bought a new TCC "solenoid" and I have not yet installed it. I don't know if this affects 1st gear operation or not??? I am currently off work due to a few herniated disks in my lower back so I am not able to drop the pan and fix this yet... TBF

My car is doing the same thing, it just wont build any stall down low in 1st gear. But goes like gang busters just before it hits second and then its all over the road. But if I try to power brake the car it only stalls to a/b 1500 and a/b 2-3lbs of boost. I just put the orange strip tc in and it made no difference at all. My 60ft times are 2.4 sec but the cars runs 84mph thru the trap in the 1/8th. It does stick in 2nd gear sometimes but usually shifts great other than that. I've talked with everyone I know to and cant seem to get a consistant diaognosis. And the more I read the more questions I come up with. Could it be the stator shaft is slipping? It looked fine but I know its soft and prone to wear. Or could it be the TCC? Oh the car has 99k and its had this condition since I bought the car and it had 92k on it then. The previous owner said the car was fine when he quit driving it..sat in storage for a/b two years. Im hoping I dont have to rebuild but if thats what it takes then so be it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and tpabayflyer I dont mean to highjack your thread and I hope you are back on your feet and doing well. If I figure it out Ill post what it took to fix it. Btw I have a good friend that lives in Tampa and I plan on coming down there soon maybe Ill give ya a shout when Im in town. :)

See ya'll at BG!:D

Originally posted by tpabayflyer
My 87 GN has about 140K miles with a stock trans and it just does not seem to accelerate well in 1st gear..... when the car shifts into 2nd it is like I am all of a sudden shot out of a cannon??? I have a problem with the tq converter not unlocking at low speeds after extended highway running. I do have the replacement solenoid to hopefully repair this problem but I was wondering if this would also cause the trans to somehow"drag" in first gear only??? It has been doing this for a while now and I was curious if this has happened to anyone else?? TIA TBF

TBF, my car did the same thing. I thought it was the torque converter but it was the stator shaft, it was stripped clean except for a/b 1/4 inch leaving the end (2") very polished. I replaced it with a hardend one and now the car goes like gang busters from a dig! Problem solved! I hope this helps. :D