transgo HD2 reprogramming kit issues

jasonlachapelle

To Hold on High
I had a transgo HD2 reprogramming kit installed in my stock 200-4-R. My T has a Pro Yank extreme LU 3400 converter. I realize this kit isn't favoured on this board, but I had a lot of success with their 4L60e HD2-C kit.

The car was shifting perfectly before the transgo kit with the stock D5 converter. Now, the car doesn't shift until about 4800 rpm at very light throttle, both for 1-2 and 2-3. It'll stay in 1st until approx 85 km/h and 2nd until approx 110 km/h. The light-throttle shifts are bone-jarringly harsh. So much so that I have stopped driving the car because I'm pretty sure it's going to start breaking parts. Also I can't get the car to shift into 4th. I took it up to +140 km/h and it was still in 3rd. Downshifts during no-throttle deceleration were so firm it almost seemed the car was going to nose over.

At moderate to high throttle (40% or more) the car seems to shift correctly (crisp, but not harsh) and at the correct speeds.

I contacted transgo tech support. They suggested perhaps the TV exhaust checkball wasn't removed. It is. They also said it is most likely an improperly adjusted TV cable. I followed the gnttype.org instructions, as well as the transgo tech support rep's instructions (which are pretty similar). It did help slightly. At the "gm recommended setting", at 0% throttle, there was about 1" of "slack" in the cable between the TB linkage and the ball at the end of the TV cable. I took out the slack using 2 zip-ties and it seemed to help reduce the shift/downshift firmness, but not the shift point.

Any suggestions about how to resolve this issue ? I can really live without the "install X's kit" type of reply. I have read enough of them during the search and will keep them in mind for my next build.

Sounds like the Trans is shifting using only the Governor. Have you checked to see if the TV/ThrottleValve Plunger or TV valve is sticking/binding?