Translater +

Iceman

Go Pokes!
This winter I would like to upgrade to the Translater +.I have the Translater !
I would like to use one chip for street and race.I have a extender chip with 19° of timing and 17° in 3rd.Will I need to get more timing put in this chip or will the Translater+ turn the timing up enough?
How much can you change timing with the Translater+?

The T+ can advance or retard the BASE timing by up to 14* in 2* incraments. And the WOT timing can be advanced or retarded another 10*, again in 2* incraments.

I had my latest extender cut for 98 octane. That's 23* in 1st and 2nd, and 21* in 3rd and 4th.
I just retard the base timing 2 clicks for our street gas. Then at the track I bring the BASE back to "0" (23*), and crank 3 clicks into the WOT timing (29*).

TurboDave...........

So "you" can get away with one chip for 93 octane and play with the translator timming and not have to change chips for a higher octane fuel????????? say for the track???????????

If I get the Extender chip, I could do this too?????? As long as I have the Translator plus........Which I do:D

Am I correct?

TIA

Well, I'd say for the most part yes. My last trip to the track seemed to yield fairly possitive results, although just a smidgy bit slower than my dedicated race chip.
But there were several months in between the comparison runs so lot's of things could have changed.
This particular track sits at 2800 feet, and the density air is usually significantly higher than that.

The quickest I ever ran at that track was an 11.88@114

This last trip on my "street" chip (but tuned upward in the T+) netted several 11.97's and the mph was up a little at 114.7

So that seems to say yes, you can do that.

Originally posted by TurboDave
Well, I'd say for the most part yes. My last trip to the track seemed to yield fairly possitive results, although just a smidgy bit slower than my dedicated race chip.
But there were several months in between the comparison runs so lot's of things could have changed.
This particular track sits at 2800 feet, and the density air is usually significantly higher than that.

The quickest I ever ran at that track was an 11.88@114

This last trip on my "street" chip (but tuned upward in the T+) netted several 11.97's and the mph was up a little at 114.7

So that seems to say yes, you can do that.

I also use the extender for both street and race. I happened to notice the same thing, that the car seemed just a little bit slower than with my race chip. In all fairness though, I have only had the extender chip to the track twice since I got it, so with some more tuning I could probably have ended up faster. Two weeks ago I ran 11.99, 11.97, 11.88, and 11.83 all in the 111-114 mph range.

Translator + and all-purpose Extender

Hi,

Most guys get a '98 octane' extender chip and run the timing lower for street use.

It works fine, but plan ahead for your boost control methods and order the chip accordingly.

T-Dave runs a BstC BoostCommand so the boost setting in the chip is not a problem.

TurboBob

Iceman & Maximumwarp, I can echo what has been said here. I have a 100 Octane/22* chip and run 100 octane unleaded Unocal gasoline. With a TA49 turbo, I keep the boost set @21-22 & the WOT timing @ +4-6* depending on the weather. When doing more driving than local hunting or jaunts to the track, I fill 'er up with 91 (ughh) and then dial -4* of base timing as well as the WOT timing & I'm usually good & safe for when gravity pulls my right foot closer to mother earth.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

TurboDave, cncgn, TurBob and Dean.

This will be most helpful when ordering a new chip.

Thanks again. JS