Translator & LS1 MAF Direct Scan reading

Jeasen

Just put the Direct Scan on the TTA and was wondering if the MAF reading was right. At WOT the MAF reading increased as the RPM's went up but the highest reading at 5000 RPMs was 195 g/s. Is someone is using a translator & LS1 MAF on their TTA? Could you check a Direct Scan file and see if my reading is correct? I am use to the factory MAF on my Turbo Buick and at WOT it would read 255 g/s. Do you think that I have a faulty LS1 MAF?

Nope, it's reading right.

Using the Translator and LS1 MAF, your readings are cut in half.

No.. using an extender chip it reads in half..

Your position 3 switch.. aka Limiter.. has to be "ON" inside your translator.

:wink:

Translator & LS1 MAF

Switches are set like so reading from left to right, On, On, On, Off. At WOT the TPS reads 4.60 volts. As RPMs increase at WOT the MAF readings increase with the RPMs but at over 5000 RPMs it only read 195 g/s. I am using a low timing Turbotweak chip. Translator is set to 10% rich at idle, and currently set to 6% rich at WOT. I have the Turbotweak chip set to full rich at WOT and still getting a small amount of knock in 2nd & 3rd gear. I am using Bluetop injectors and the stock turbo. Boost is set at 16 #'s. The idle BLMs are reading 142 which is why I have the translator set 10% rich. I was wondering if the low MAF reading was causing the lean condition. I am using a RJC power plate and have checked all around the intake area for vacuum leaks and can't find any. I have replaced most all of the vacuum hoses. I have a new Walbro 340 fuel pump and a Racetronix fuel pump hot wire kit. I am also using a new Acufab adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure is set at 41 psi. Maybe I should raise the fuel pressure and tune out some fuel with the translator and chip if my MAF is reading correctly? Any ideas?

How much boost are you running when performing this test?

You may not be moving enough air.. Like if you ran 13 PSI boost for example.

Quiky One said:
Shouldnt it still get to 255 though? Even if the readings are cut in half?

Jason

If the reading are cut in half, he'd need to flow 510 grams to get 255. On a car running 25 PSI.. he'd probably see the 198 if cut in half.

Also there is no sign the car is leaning out.. in other words no mention of any problem cept a 142 BL issue..

Razor said:
If the reading are cut in half, he'd need to flow 510 grams to get 255. On a car running 25 PSI.. he'd probably see the 198 if cut in half.

Also there is no sign the car is leaning out.. in other words no mention of any problem cept a 142 BL issue..
Would good flowing heads change this reading?

Jason

Quiky One said:
Would good flowing heads change this reading?

Jason

Heads and cam will increase airflow readings. Meaning instead of 255 at 18 PSI, you may get 255 at 12 PSI boost.

The better your motor breathes.. the sooner it pegs the MAF.

Translator & LS! MAF

The 195 g/s reading was at WOT, over 5000 RPMs, and 16 #s of boost. I am using the same TurboTweak chip and Bluetop injectors in the TTA that my son had in his Turbo Buick. My son's car went 11.6 @ 114 with these parts so I know they work well. Is it a safe assumption to say the MAF reading is correct at 195 g/s?

It could. I dont worry about MAF readings unless its leaning out.

Injectors and chip have nothing to do with air flow. As the number your questioning is reguarding the amount of air flowing through the pipe.. Exhuast, cam, heads, IC, etc.. those will play with the numbers

I would think at 16 PSI it would flow more air.. but the dynamics of everyones engines is different. If you turn the boost up.. to 18 and the numbers increase from 195-220.. then its working. If the O2's are not crashing.. staying in the upper 700's lower 800's.. then all is well.

My first TTA had a T+ and extender chip and LT-1 MAF....At 16 PSI the MAF reading was less than 200 (175 I think)....I think you're OK....I made a similar post four years ago :)

Translator & LS1 MAF

I want to thank everyone for their replies to my post. I really appreciate the help. I just did not want to start chasing a problem that did not exist. It looks like I am OK. Thanks again for your help.

The reading is only cut in half with an Extender chip. You really should be seeing 255 at 16psi. If the engine is actually only flowing 195gr/sec, there is a serious problem somewhere. That's the typical airflow for roughly 10psi boost for a setup like yours.

Is the LS1 sensor new? The MAF sensor could be bad (even if it's new). Make sure the BASE setting in the Translator is correct for the sensor. Also make sure there is no intake hose that is collapsing under boost. Can you swap on another sensor to test (even if a stock one)?

Also, the WOT fuel adjustment in the chip won't work until the airflow exceeds 200-210 gr/sec.

Regards,
Eric

Translator & LT1 MAF

I have posted this wrong from the begining. I am using a 3" LT1 Maf and the Translator. Not a LS1 MAF. Sorry I posted wrong. The translator and LT1 MAF is not new. It was purchased from someone on the this board. The reason I changed was my factory MAF was bad. I have a solid pipe and a K&N for the intake air so I do not see that as a problem. The translator is set for a LT1 3" MAF. My son is using a 3 1/2" LS1 MAF so I guess I could try his with the proper plumbing. Does the fact that I have an LT1 MAF change anything?

The LT1 or LS1 should work fine. You can try the LS1, just to see if your LT1 sensor was bad, but you'd need some hose adapters. Also, what version Translator is it (should be written on the cover)?
You can also try increasing the WOT knob to see if it gets the reading up higher.

The high BLM and the low WOT reading makes me suspect the MAF sensor.

Eric

Could a plugged cat or restrictive exhuast also not allow air flow?

Translator & LT1 MAF

My car still has the stock downpipe and stock exhaust on it. I removed the cat and installed a test pipe with a dump. I think I heard that a TTA would run in the 11s with the stock exhaust. The dump was closed when I got the 195 g/s reading. I guess I will open the dump and see what I get with it open. Maybe the original muffler with 126,000 miles is plugged up. :confused: My translator is version 4.2.