Transmission 1st gear clicking noise, problem?? TH350 by the way

GS70350

Round Headlights.Like em?
Hey guys, im having a problem with the transmission in my GS. its a TH350, built up and has a shift kit in it. had it rebuilt 2 times because of failures, the second time right after the first rebuild, the sprag broke. now, after 2K miles, im havin another problem, and i dont want to pay another 500 bucks to have it fixed. In first gear, and ONLY in first gear, it clicks, like a ratchet, and it increases with speed, the faster i go in 1st, the quicker it clicks. then, when it shifts into 2nd, the clicking is all gone. and wont happen again till it downshifts into 1st. whats the problem? still shifts nice and firm, no difference in driveability or its behavior, but the noise. i hate it, and i dont want to screw up my tranny by driving it with this going on if its a problem. oh, and when the transmission is really cold, like, after sitting for a while, it clicks less, and once its warmed up fully, the clicking is at its norm.

thanks for your help,

Low planet is hitting on the anti rattle clip from lr center support to case. Does it do it in both manual low and low in d? Thats is where I would look, or somebody put too long of bolt in VB going into lr cavity somewhere but your problem is in the back and unless you become a tranny tech overnight, you are paying someone to take it apart... Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts.....:(

yes, it does it in both manual 1st and 1st when in drive. so i sould check the lower planetary gear to make sure its not hitting the anti rattle clip. whats the VB. i will take the transmission out, but i will have someone else fix this problem if its necessary. Is it necessary, or can i run with it doing this without destroying it. thanks man, your a big help.

Originally posted by GS70350
yes, it does it in both manual 1st and 1st when in drive. so i sould check the lower planetary gear to make sure its not hitting the anti rattle clip. whats the VB. i will take the transmission out, but i will have someone else fix this problem if its necessary. Is it necessary, or can i run with it doing this without destroying it. thanks man, your a big help.

Well the destroying part I do not know whats wrong so if it were me I would not drive, pull apart and find.

VB is Valve body

You know, I do not offer this often but we will build you one and test it in same car we do the 2004rs in. They are ALOTT cheaper to do. I think you would be surprised. I will say problem you have is from Center Support back. I would almost bet on it......almost..:)