Transmission help

MJDreger

Okay, this isn't Buick related but I am trying to get some help/advice on my car. One day I will own a GN, but right now I don't live somewhere that has a garage, and I don't live in the best of neighborhoods right now so I don't want to buy one to leave it outside, but I have much respect for the DARK SIDE. I figured since there are alot of very informed people who work on transmissons that visit this forum that someone would be able to offer me some advice/help

Okay here is the situation, I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 5spd, it only has 6000 miles on it.

My first question is the 1st to 2nd shift is always crappy, meaning that it is never smooth, no matter what I do, is there a way to adjust something to have it not be so jerky going into second. (yes I do no how to drive a manual transmission)

My second question is that say if I am coasting down a hill in first gear and I push the clutch all the way to the floor, you can hear the car being in gear a little bit, like the clutch is slightly engaged but not all the way.

I have taken it to the dealer once to look at and that told me that was normal, which I don't believe to be true. I have read elsewhere about the manual transmissions having problems.
If anyone could give me some advice/knowledge about a standard transmission I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike D.

Sounds like you answered your own question.
It almost sounds like the car's clutch is sticking or dragging slightly when you release it.
Not good for synchros.
Maybe Bruce or Chris will chime in here and offer some advice on adjustment.
Keep the faith and maybe one day we'll see you posting about your new T/R.
Later...:)

Thanks, I know it isn't good for the synchros, but the dealer said that was normal for that car, which I think is BS, but I don't know what to do.

I do love TR's and GN's I hope to have one one day very soon, its just a matter of having a garage that I would feel comfortable leaving it in.

But thanks again.

Mike

Mike, what most people call that is parasitic movement. The shear power of the fluid passing one gear near another will cause some movement in the second gear. The transaxles are so tightly arranged, it isn't abnormal to see this kind of thing at all. The other thing, have you had the clutch replaced on this anytime along the way? Did this problem exist from the time you bought the car new?(if you have own it since new). It's something hard to figure out here without seeing just how severe it is. You may want to try a local reputable shop and have them test drive it for an accurate opinion. Mark :D

Thanks for the reply 2quiktocare, I bought the car brand new with 17 miles on the odomotor. I have read on another car forum of 2003 Eclipse's needed new synchros at 15,000 miles. It just sucks the reason I bought the darn thing is that I just wanted a new car that I didn't have to worry about breaking down, being that my Stratus has 140,000 miles on it and my Cutlas is 18 years old.

Thanks again for the reply.

I guess I will take it to a tranny shop to have them look at it because I don't think the dealer is telling my the truth. (duh)

Mike

Mike, they should be able to get a strong idea just by driving it. Don't let anyone tear it down until you talk with the Mitsu district service manager. Since you have had this problem and they did the syncros so early on, they now have extended liability for a known problem with your trans. Also go on line to consumer watch panels and see what recall campaigns Mitsu has had if any pertaining to this concern. A quick side though is, your shifting habits. If you are power or speed shifting this thing, that may be what has caused the situation to start. Just a thought. These things aren't made for hard shifts at all. lol,Mark:D

Hey Mark,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I guess I will just take it to the dealer again. About my shifting habits, I really don't bang through the gears being that I would like to keep the car for a while. But thanks for the advice and the information, at least it kind of gets me on the right track of what to do.

Mike