trasmission question

j13smiley

since this is the only car i've ever owned with an automatic - i'm not quite sure what i need to look for or fix.

i've noticed the tta isn't shifting like it used to this year. the biggest thing is it never shifts into 4th gear on it's own - if you accelerate normally it will shift up through 3rd, but stay in 3rd until i let off the gas. as soon as i ease off the gas it will shift up to 4th.

also - the shifts into 2nd and 3rd are usually pretty strong shifts with these cars, mine is now making a normal 2 and 3 shift feel pretty soft.

if you mash the gas the car will get up and go... but something is not quite right with this tranny and i'd rather try to figure it out now as opposed to one day when it quits working. i'm hoping there is something simple like a sensor or something.... not a tranny rebuild.... :(

can anyone give me any ideas or something to look at? fluid level is good - i'm not sure if a fluid change would help or not... figured i'd ask for some ideas before throwing $$$ at it.... i did get under the dash to wire up my scanmaster this year, i don't think i could have messed up anything under there to cause this though.

You have 2 things happening that are contradictory which probably means you have some wear. When you have to back off a bit on the throttle for it to shift into od that usually means you have your detent linkage a bit too tight but, if the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd isn't crisp that's usually detent too loose. Try this, with the car off and in park, move your detent towards the fire wall as far as it will go. Then sit in the car and mash on the gas hard and fast, you will here the linkage move, it has just reset. See how it shifts now. You can play with the detent one snap at a time. Shortening the detent (moving it towards the firewall) will make the shifts shorter and harder, moving it forward towards the radiator is just the opposite. The detent is one of 3 cables on your throttle body. It is the one that goes thru a bracket with a large brass button and the cable has small ears or tabs on it. Use a large phylips screw drive to depress the bottom and you will be able to move the cable. Once you reset it, do not make any adjustment more than 1 tab at a time.

Start saving money.. my TTA crystal ball says a new tranny is in your very near future.

These transmissions need regular fluid changes, and if mal adjusted will cook the clutches. So if the TV cable wasnt right.. and you were beating on it.. bada bing.. = new tranny.

Sorry.