Traveling to Tenn. looking at moving to the area

400sbcdon

We are coming down to Tenn the first week of March looking into moving to the area. We will be east of Nashville looking at the area and more or less being on vacation while looking at other aspects of the area. Just wondering if anyone is in the area or if anyone has any thoughts or information that is helpful?

I'm in Hendersonville which is North East of Nashville. I've lived here most of my life and I've traveled all over North and Central America don't really care to move anywhere else.

East of Nashville, the further you go, the cheaper houses and land get. Mt. Juliet is growing quite a bit right now. Murfreesboro (south east) is a college town, but is nice. Lebanon is about as far east as you want to go if you are working in or close to Nashville. There are two big lakes east of town. The cost of living is pretty low. No Income tax, but our sales tax is a bit high. Property taxes are relatively low. Franklin (south of Nashville) is pretty expensive, but it's definitely not the norm. If you are an outdoorsman, this is a very good area. The beach in Florida is only 8 hours away. The Smokey Mountians are a few hours away in East TN.

I'm in Hendersonville which is North East of Nashville. I've lived here most of my life and I've traveled all over North and Central America don't really care to move anywhere else.

East of Nashville, the further you go, the cheaper houses and land get. Mt. Juliet is growing quite a bit right now. Murfreesboro (south east) is a college town, but is nice. Lebanon is about as far east as you want to go if you are working in or close to Nashville. There are two big lakes east of town. The cost of living is pretty low. No Income tax, but our sales tax is a bit high. Property taxes are relatively low. Franklin (south of Nashville) is pretty expensive, but it's definitely not the norm. If you are an outdoorsman, this is a very good area. The beach in Florida is only 8 hours away. The Smokey Mountians are a few hours away in East TN.

Why no further east then Lebanon?
We really like it here in East TN in the foot hills! Besides, our weather is nicer than yours. Cooler summers, milder winters!

Why no further east then Lebanon?
We really like it here in East TN in the foot hills! Besides, our weather is nicer than yours. Cooler summers, milder winters!

If he plans to work in or around Nashville, I wouldn't want to drive from any further than Lebanon. If that's not an issue, then anywhere is good. I like East TN also, just never lived there. I did do my time in Cookeville at TN Tech and enjoyed it.

Sorry, I guess I missed where he wanted to work in the Nashville area.

The company my wife works for actually has a plant in Lebanon so that is where we are headed first

Do you want to be near a larger city, or out in the country?

Me and my wife are considering moving because of my new job and we are looking in the Lebanon area also.

Do you want to be near a larger city, or out in the country?

Me and my wife are considering moving because of my new job and we are looking in the Lebanon area also.

I would prefer being in the country but living near a big city has its advantages also.

My family is from TN and I spent 10 years there. If you have common sense and intelligence stay the hell out of it. Nashburg had and may still have whore houses that advertise in the paper and the politics are really screwy. The hunting and fishing laws are decided by politics rather than the wildlife department so if you read the laws, you could get as many as 23 deer in 1 season if you qualify for all the regulations. Copper hill was and is still an ecological disaster that's over 100 years old. I was offered a job at goodyear that made well in the 3 figure range and after spending 10 years there I turned it down flat. Granted I'm jaded by all the BS liberal crap that happens there and I do have friends there still, but I'll never live there again.:mad:

My family is from TN and I spent 10 years there. If you have common sense and intelligence stay the hell out of it. Nashburg had and may still have whore houses that advertise in the paper and the politics are really screwy. The hunting and fishing laws are decided by politics rather than the wildlife department so if you read the laws, you could get as many as 23 deer in 1 season if you qualify for all the regulations. Copper hill was and is still an ecological disaster that's over 100 years old. I was offered a job at goodyear that made well in the 3 figure range and after spending 10 years there I turned it down flat. Granted I'm jaded by all the BS liberal crap that happens there and I do have friends there still, but I'll never live there again.:mad:

I don't know what TN you lived in, but it's not the TN I know!? Liberal????? Are you kidding?? Maybe in the Counties that Nashville and Memphis sit in, but not the state as a whole! This is one of the most conservative states in the country, the entire state government is conservative, from the governor on down.
You certainly can't judge the state by what you see in Nashville or Memphis! They are in their own little worlds, and I would NEVER consider living in or near either of them, especially Memphis.
Actually I wouldn't consider anything West of the plateau, the Western half of the state has it's own unique weather, very different from us her in the East half.

Ive lived in Tn my whole life. Grew up in the same county as MikeE. Im now living about 15 minutes south of Lebanon on the outskirts of Murfreesboro. Very nice area.

I think my wifes biggest worry is that we have seen stuff online saying the ppl in TN do not welcome ppl from the north nicely. I feel that ppl are generally treated how they treat other so I am not so worried about this. I was born in MI but grew up in many states, FL TX WY, to name a few so I get how ppl will treat you like an outsider but also that you need to understand the local culture. I be leave TN will be a great place to live and am totally committed on moving south and enjoy some awsome bbq

We moved here April 1st. I am from Middle TN but moved away for 25 years. It is different now. People are not less friendly but they are not overly welcoming I have noticed. We are in Mount Juliet. During the 14 years we lived in Indy, I found people were very welcoming and hospitable there. Here I am treated as an outsider so far but I think it has more to do with Nashville being much more populated and now full of new population. My most genuinely friendly neighbor is from Buffalo go figure. Growing up here, few if any people moved in. Now it seems as though this is a magnet city. The traffic is really, really bad during rush hours. Midday and weekends are fine though.

Whitts is very good barbeque but the sauce sucks. You are better off making something of your own with tomato paste, vinegar, worchestershire and cayenne pepper.

If I had my choice, I'd live in Shelbyville. Still in the Nashville corridor so to speak and reasonable driving distance to Nashville, Chatanooga, and Huntsville. Second choice would Chatanooga...

I live in Bellevue which is southwest Nashville. My wife and I moved here from Iowa a little over one year ago. Our career opportunities and overall quality of life has exceeded our expectations. It's been a great gamble that has paid off wonderfully so far. My only beef is the public schools aren't what the Midwest has to offer. We're thinking of moving to Williamson co just for the public schools and that's why it costs more to live there. Private schools in Davidson co are a good solution but I feel that I can get an investment in a house back as opposed to paying for private school. Let me know if you want to meet up. I usually hit coffee and cars most Saturdays.

Oh, btw, Jim n Nicks is the best bbq around and it's not a dive. If you want a dive though, b&c bbq is great. And don't forget Hattie B's hot chicken...Nashville staple.

I haven't checked this post in a while. We bought in Wilson County on the recommendation of avoiding Davidson County school districts and it's an easy commute. Homes are more desirable in the donut counties around Davidson for that reason though I would avoid Cheatham since it is rather rural. Williamson is a good choice but you have to move far South to get value unless you're ok paying dearly for living close to town.

Yard work and outdoor projects have consumed my free time since we arrived. I am going to go to BG on Saturday and look around the Nats if you're planning to go as well.