TR's too popular??

you guys up north east see them all the time

i live in dallas, i think there are maybe 50 cars in dallas and the outskirts total.

i see one guy regularly, he lives 2 blocks from me, another kid around here has one i see once a month maybe..

some guy with handicap plates drives around and i see him once every 2 or three months, i try to get his attention and wave but he never sees me..

buicks are REALLY rare around here.

I know of 2 other GN's and 3 T's within about a 40-50 mile area. Also had a local guy buy a TTA recently that is the only one in the area that I know of. It's very rare to see a TR/GN around here. Usually I'm the only one at our local 1/8 mile track unless my buddy brings out his 87 T. I can't count the times I've had to say "No, it's not a Monte SS, it's a Buick GN".....Gotta love living in the middle of redneck country....LOL.

THEY ARE GETTING TOOO POPULAR HERE WITH THE YOUNG GUY'S.
UP TO LATE TWENTIES I BELIEVE.
IN THE LAST 7 MONTHS I HAVE SEEN 8 GN'S ONE WAS METALIC ORANGE,ONE WAS METALIC SILVER,ANOTHER WAS OLIVE GREEN, THE REST WHERE BLACK.
4 TURBO T'S WHITE, DARK BLUE,GUNMEATAL GREY,LIGHT BURGANDY,
3 OTHER T-TYPES BESIDES MINE(DARK MET. BLU)
GREY,,SILVER MET.BURGANDY,
ONE OTHER WE4 BESIDES MINE.

ONLY THE GREY WAS ALL CHROME,LIMITED. THE REST HAD BLACK OUT TRIM.

I HAVE NOT SEEN A 89 TTA THOUGH!

Hey guys I'm one of the original high schoolers that sought after the infamous GN. I graduated in 1986 and am now 35 yoa and I'm on my second 87 GN. One for the old guys!!
:cool:

how can they be TOO popular? Since they built the last one 16 years ago, it's not like more are showing up every day! ;)

I dont think the GN could if it tried, be to popular.. You just notice them more, since you bought one..

matt:cool:

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
how can they be TOO popular? Since they built the last one 16 years ago, it's not like more are showing up every day! ;)

But, it sure does seem like it.

I agree with the observation at this thread's core.
Think about it:
~20 Years ago a bunch of mid-life crisis hosers bought these up like water... They have been sitting on them for the last 7-10 years with nothing to do. They have finally decided to sell... and guess who is looking to smoke Hondas? Your sons and daughters... they heard you speak of them, have seen you drive them, and experienced the thrills they brought.

The two TRs I have owned were both semi-lost causes. One was dry rotted to hell and back, the other had no engine. Both were sitting in the possession of an older gent creeping in on 40 and he had one too many. Guess who made his dream come true? ;)

There are 4 Turbo Buicks in my 'hood/street. 2 GNs, an '86 Rosewood T-type and my 87 T. There are many more in the city and even more around Toronto. :)

there are two in my neighborhood..

mine and a friend of mine who lives about 3 blocks away.

ive also seen an old man driving a gnx or a gnx clone, not sure but i think its just a clone.. i see him once a month if that.

i also saw a 86/87 gn parked infront of a house a few miles away once.. never seen it since though.

there are like 2 others i see once every 2 or 3 months..

not alot around here at all!

I bought my GN when I was 23, I am 29 now. Maybe I was a punk back then!

I don't think that they are too popular. Ask Jim Hass - not enough people are supporting Buicks @ Bristol...

Mark F.
87 GN 11.9 @ 115

Too many young people?

I don't understand how too many young people owning these cars are a bad thing. I'm married, own a house, have a college degree, pay taxes, and never been into trouble. True, there are many in my age group that can be classified as losers, but isn't that true of almost any age group? If anything, it's a GOOD thing for young people to become interested in these cars. That keeps the hobby alive, and more demand increases value. A small increase in value is a good thing. That keeps these cars from becoming beaters as all too many have already become.

Next time anybody thinks to age discriminate please remember not everyone is an upside down spoiler hat wearing punk in a Honda. :D

James

What that man said. I'm 17 and the reason I want one is because I don't WANT to be like everyone else. I don't want to drive the Me2 cars ("you drive a mustang? Me2!"), I want something that I'm known for without having to put a stereo or a giant wing or a goofy coffee can, just because it's unique as it is. A lot of people around here already know about GNs, but luckily the current "fastest car in the school" doesn't know enough about them... He's got a '94 Firebird Formula with intake, Flowmasters/cutouts, shift kit, and a couple other things... including a 150 shot. My goal is to totally destroy him and throw him off the throne before the end of May. :D

Originally posted by JordanCVP
What that man said. I'm 17 and the reason I want one is because I don't WANT to be like everyone else. I don't want to drive the Me2 cars ("you drive a mustang? Me2!"), I want something that I'm known for without having to put a stereo or a giant wing or a goofy coffee can, just because it's unique as it is. A lot of people around here already know about GNs, but luckily the current "fastest car in the school" doesn't know enough about them... He's got a '94 Firebird Formula with intake, Flowmasters/cutouts, shift kit, and a couple other things... including a 150 shot. My goal is to totally destroy him and throw him off the throne before the end of May. :D

haha thats kinda funny, that the same boat im in but the fastest car was a CRX that ran 13.2 w/ slicks and spraying a 75 shot the whole 1/4, but he sold it, so i now dominate... hahaha im guessing your also c/o 2003?

yea so im the 17 year old kenny spoke of.... 18 now though ;) anyway, i got it 3 months after i turned 17 only to have the engine go in the first couple weeks (i guess there are a couple shady tr owners) since then its been a really fun car with a te44 bluetops and full exhaust and all the jazz. as far as the fastest car in school? ha, there is absolutely no competition. i am the car guy at school and everyone who is into cars there knows who's boss... dont hate the young guys like me getting into tr's, who else is going to carry on the tradition if all you old farts croak? haha take it easy fellas

you guys truely have it good, at my school ricers are abundant, and while alot of them know about the TRs there is not one there to break egos....and i have to make sure i dont drive my wanna be t-type like its fast or some ricer or stang driver wont notice that its only got one tailpipe and think they can beat a TR...wish i could take the step-dad's gn there one day...

i drove my car for 2 years with open exhaust..

everyone at my school thought it was a 455 :confused:

oh yea, i just wanted to add that yes i am 18 and i have a gn, but jus to clarify... my mommy and daddy didnt buy it for me. 14k (including the new motor) paid for by me by workin at a mafioso style sicilian pizza place. i hate the kids whose parents buy them an ex-race car and then talk $hit about how fast it is. theres jus sumthin about buying your own car that gives you a warm tingly feeling inside...

im kinda one of those kids....

my dad said if you get a 3.0 GPA i will pay to build you a car, but YOU and I have to do the work...

so i ended up with an 84 el camino, and got an 84 350 vette motor and a 700R4. we rebuilt the motor, with holley alunium heads, a .510" lift cam, high rise dual plane intake, with a 750 CFM carb, roller rockers, 10.5:1 compression bored .030 over, 8 qt oil pan the list goes on... in the end, it was pushing out 425-450 hp and 425-450 ft lbs..

then sadly, as you may have heard me whining about before on other threads, my EL C was stolen on the last day of my junior year, chopped up, and looks like this... (top at a car show, bottom when we found the car 3 weeks after it disappeared) so when we collected the insurance money on that thing i got my GN... but i havent talked my dad into another one of those deals...

but im not that fast any ways... so i dont have much to brag about...

neil

Im another one of those 17 year old punks in high school. My dad got a GN when I was 16 and I was hooked ever since. At my HS there are 2 gn's, mine and my best friends. As for fastest car at school, my only competition is a 5.0, should be interesting, dont think he has much though, and an ls1 SS but with some tuning I should be able to kill him. Also the other GN once he redoes his motor. I also am one of the car guys at school that knows his stuff, there are about 3 or 4 of us there that really know cars (even though some of you old guys are like service manuals). Having some ricer knowledge (which I do, don't ask how) is nice for settling arguments. There are very few kids who do know what a TR is, but those who do know they are badass!
About people not wanting us "kids" to have TR's, its not like we don't take care of them or treat them like a beater first car. I do all the work on my own car and do most of it on my father's with him and I love my car very much.
In my opinion, the age of the owner doesn't matter, its how they care for it, if they appreciate the car for what it is, and their attitude basically. I also apply that to if mommy and daddy buy them their car. So what? My parents helped me pay for mine and I'm thankful they did. As long as they are not bragging about that fact or are rude snotty people it should not matter. We have to start somewhere and why not start with the best.
This is what I love about TR's. It's a small close knit community and it will probably always be that way. There are really no rude people on this board who will put someone down for asking a simple question that everyone knows the answer too. I don't think TR's will become a huge fad like rustangs (like they say "everyone and their brother owns one" and my brother does own one) but they are becoming more popular with the younger generation it seems, mainly it seems more people just know that they're not a car to mess with on the street.
Sorry for the long post and going a little off-topic, but I needed to let that out.
-Jeff