Trunk lid rust repair with pics

mearly65

I just recently spent a weekend repairing the rust on the lip of my GN's trunklid and I decided to post the pics. I know this is a common rust prone area on our cars so maybe others who have the same problem might view this post and decide to jump in and fix it themselves. It took me two days time working at a leisurely pace and as you'll see in the pics it's not as daunting a task as you may think. I documented from start to finish, welding in patches to wet sanding and buffing.

Attachments

• gn3spots.JPG
    gn3spots.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 197
  • gnrustcloseup.JPG
    gnrustcloseup.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 186
  • gnpatch.JPG
    gnpatch.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 186
  • gnpatchweld.JPG
    gnpatchweld.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 185
  • gnbone.JPG
    gnbone.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 196
  • gnprimer.JPG
    gnprimer.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 181
  • gndonehanging.JPG
    gndonehanging.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 174
  • gnwetsandhalf.JPG
    gnwetsandhalf.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 168
  • gnorangepeel.JPG
    gnorangepeel.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 173
  • gnwetsandcloseup.JPG
    gnwetsandcloseup.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 163
Some more pics. I wanted to add text to each pic but couldn't figure it out. Oh well, if anyone has a question just let me know.

Attachments

• gnbuff.JPG
    gnbuff.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 109
  • gnraceglaze.JPG
    gnraceglaze.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 102
  • gndonetopside.JPG
    gndonetopside.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 104
  • gndonedriver.JPG
    gndonedriver.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 112
  • gndonepass.JPG
    gndonepass.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 115
I included two close up pics of the wet sanding stage to show newbies what orange peel looks like. When you start wet sanding the paint will get extremely dull. Some areas will look like shiny little circles still in the clear. That's shown in the first close up. That's the orange peel you're looking to get rid of. The second pic shows the same area after I sanded it some more to get rid of every trace of peel. There's no sense in buffing unless the whole panel has a uniform dullness. Any peel will show up after you buff it and you won't have that mirror finish you're looking for.

Thanks for the info. What you can do is put one pic on first as a thembnail and type in the info, then add the next pic and info. It's a bit of a pain to do but it does work.:)

Thanks for the info. What you can do is put one pic on first as a thembnail and type in the info, then add the next pic and info. It's a bit of a pain to do but it does work.:)
I figured there must be some way. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that next time.