Trying to get it tuned and running right...suggestions??

Donniejr81

I got my 85 running finally and for the most part its ok, just needing help getting the fuel right. It starts and idles beautiful just a little rich, but has a brief hesitation when I rev it like its not getting enough fuel and pops ever so slightly out of the exhaust. Already tried a different FPR, plus has a new O2 sensor, plugs, wires, filters, fuel pump (supposedly good to 500hp not sure of the flow though) and vacuum lines. Stock ECM and chip, test pipe, 194*/204* cam, slightly polished heads, electric fan, and CAI...other than that its stock.

I do know I need a new wastegate assembly, the actuator rod just feels really loose inside where the diaphragm is. And the pass side header has a 1/8th inch crack I missed. Im new to TB's and just trying to figure out the best way to tune this thing and get it right with the stock ECM....I wanna drive it not look at it:(

I got my 85 running finally and for the most part its ok, just needing help getting the fuel right. It starts and idles beautiful just a little rich, but has a brief hesitation when I rev it like its not getting enough fuel and pops ever so slightly out of the exhaust. Already tried a different FPR, plus has a new O2 sensor, plugs, wires, filters, fuel pump (supposedly good to 500hp not sure of the flow though) and vacuum lines. Stock ECM and chip, test pipe, 194*/204* cam, slightly polished heads, electric fan, and CAI...other than that its stock.

I do know I need a new wastegate assembly, the actuator rod just feels really loose inside where the diaphragm is. And the pass side header has a 1/8th inch crack I missed. Im new to TB's and just trying to figure out the best way to tune this thing and get it right with the stock ECM....I wanna drive it not look at it:(

Fix the header crack first. The car will not run right until you do. Brad

Fixing the exhaust leaks are on my project list for tomorrow. I found 2 more places the exhaust is leaking...both sides where the crossover bolts to the headers...not too bad though. I thought I tightened it pretty good, is there a trick to getting it to seal up since those flanges arent made for gaskets?? Copper sealant? Tighten it more?

I know on some vehicles Ive worked on, there is a specific tightening sequence for exhaust and intake plumbing just to avoid leaks.

I was thinking an 87 ECM and TT chip but didnt know if its plug and play or if I have to repin some of the ECM connectors. Do the 87 ECM's really make that much of a difference?

I was thinking an 87 ECM and TT chip but didnt know if its plug and play or if I have to repin some of the ECM connectors. Do the 87 ECM's really make that much of a difference?

The ECM upgrade allows for custom programming of the chip and the ability to log data through a powerlogger or scanmaster. The TT chip gives you the ability to make changes to your tune through timing and fuel settings. There is no repin of the connectors and simply have Eric at TT program out the MAT sensor. Plug and Play. Brad

Plug and play I do like the sound of that. I checked out the turbo tweak website and saw where there is an option for a 84/85 chip for an 87 ECM. Really, thats the only way to go...being able to tailor the chip settings for exactly what you have :cool:

I was junkyarding today and totally forgot to look for an ECM doh!! :eek:
I did get a beautiful grill from an 86 Regal though