TSO rules for 2011

I've seen 275 cars running in the 4's at my local 1/8 mile track . When the track is the right temp they ran low 1.20 60 foot times . I'm not sure I understand why they need any kind of break in the rules . Not that it wouldn't be cool to see a 190 mph TSO pass .

I don't think we did give the 275's a break. That rule didn't pass.
If you're going to make that comparison, how fast have the 10.5 guys gone? I witnessed a 6.08@253 on a 10.5W when I was tuning in LV last month. If you guys think the 275 is not a disadvantage, then we should see a lot more guys running them in the 10.5 classes next year.
If we want to just talk Buick's we only have Don's car to compare with so far. He ran an 8.15@176.88 HE WOULD HAVE RAN A 7 THAT DAY IF HE WAS ON A SLICK. The track was very tricky that day. The DR cars were all spinning and the slick cars were putting it on the bumper. I realize that on a good track, the tires become much more equal. The issue I have seen with Buick races, is they all have the same wheelbase and as the event progressses the track gets worse and worse.

Have you seen David Wolf run ? He is not that far off of the 10.5 guys when you take the pro -mod 10.5 cars out .

I think you said let them run the big turbos on 275's instead of putting extra weight on them . I don't think that will slow them down on a good track .

Mot a.gpod com
I've seen 275 cars running in the 4's at my local 1/8 mile track . When the track is the right temp they ran low 1.20 60 foot times . I'm not sure I understand why they need any kind of break in the rules . Not that it wouldn't be cool to see a 190 mph TSO pass .

Not really a good comparison. Different engine combos with different power levels and more aero dynamic bodies etc. Put 10.5w on them with wheelie bars and those track temps & condotions will not be as critical

Have you seen David Wolf run ? He is not that far off of the 10.5 guys when you take the pro -mod 10.5 cars out .

I think you said let them run the big turbos on 275's instead of putting extra weight on them . I don't think that will slow them down on a good track .

Wolfe ran that on a 315 NOT a 275. BIG DIFERENCE! So you are saying Wolfe would go just as fast on a 275 as a 10.5?

The big turbos were already voted in to get aligned with the 275 class. I was saying that you HAD to run a 275 with the big turbo. Would you prefer any tire for the big turbo?

My thinking was if you put smaller turbo cars at a lighter wt with larger slicks and even wheelie bars they are going to have a significant advantage on the front half of the track vs a 200# heavier 88mm turbo car on TINY 275 radials. This could close the gap between some of the mid 8 sec cars running smaller turbos and the 88mm TSO cars and make more potential competitors on race day. Throw in turbos larger than the 4788 and this thought really goes out the window IMO.

How many 9 sec Buick's have you seen with 275's? Its not that easy to do and no matter what you are running you will be giving something up on the front half of the track. IMO a smaller stiffer tire should MPH more so you really have to look at ET in making theses comparisons.

All I'm saying is I think on a good track the 275's will not slow down a turbo car . If someone puts the bigger 88 on the records will fall . But records don't win races .

185 -190 mph :eek:

Why didn't you put the slicks on since they were such a sure bet? If I was a betting man I would say because the MPH would not have been as high.

Ted I think the point Cal is trying to make is that because of the 275 tires Don was not able to run a 7. Was it definent that he would have run 7 with slicks no but manny was running 8 teens at 4 mph less with bigger DR's 4 mph is enough to push thru. Im sure it was Dons choice to wanna do it on 275's come hell or high water.

Why didn't you put the slicks on since they were such a sure bet? If I was a betting man I would say because the MPH would not have been as high.

MPH doesn't win races, ET does. It is up to Don to answer why he didn't run slicks. I do know that his car isn't set up for them. How come you didn't run 275's on your car last year? Will you be running them on your new car? It's funny how everyone thinks 275's are so equal, yet they have never ran them. In case you guys didn't notice, we do not have a weight break for 275's.

I think the point is should a turbo bigger than a 47/88 have a penalty . I think so but I'm saying the tire on a good track isn't going to slow them down .

I know Don was getting pretty good 60ft's that weekend to run 7's. If I recall 1.30? I think a v6 buick on a 275 with good track prep will be just as fast or faster than with a bigger tire or slick. 1.30 is good enough to go 7's.

I think the point is should a turbo bigger than a 47/88 have a penalty . I think so but I'm saying the tire on a good track isn't going to slow them down .

7 people said NO and 4 said YES and 2 said not to allow the turbo

What tracks will these be run at? If it's the tracks I'm thinking TSO is normally run at they aren't what I would call great. Nothing like MIR or Valdosta where 275/60's have been 1. teen 60's.