TT street (93 non-alky) chip question...

unix_punk

Eric / Anyone: I was doing some tuning/logging the other night and almost no matter what I do for fuel the afr always seems to fall from my preference of 11.5 into the 10's at the top end of 3rd. So 3rd gear starts up at 11.5 where I'd like it and then it gradually falls rich as the RPM's go up. Setup is in the sig, methanol knob at 5 running close to 27/24 timing, no knock. You see this before? Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve,
Can you give me your chip# and I'll look up how the chip was set up. That's not uncommon though. It depends on the volumetric efficiency of your engine at the higher rpm's. We can adjust it out if necessary.

Eric

could it be that it is a non-alky chip? fuel has to be cut out somewhat when spraying alky correct?

Eric: dunno if you need the 2299m or the 28#. let me know what you think, I appreciate it.

Johnny: I think I have 7% or so pulled out. its set at 119 for overall fuel. Its fine at the beginning of the gears so if VE is considered then my motor seems as if it flows less air at high rpm then the chip is expecting. maybe because of the ic or the powerplate, not sure.

ok, i just remember reading that if the o2's r rising that its a good indication of too much alky! im sure eric will figure whats up, makes some awesome chips! can u send the chip to eric and have him burn it for the alky setup maybe?

Eric: Here is the cleanest 3rd gear pull i had logged (Powerlogger) if it helps.

Johnny: Could be, cant really turn it down with as much timing as im running :) i though I remember reading a past post saying that on a stock injector chip that the fuel is the same (and maxed) in both the street and the alky chip. i could be wrong though.

Attachments

• QuickSave.022.zip
    36.5 KB · Views: 41
Ok, you're right, since that's a stock injector chip, the fuel is maxed by default. Usually I have to max it out to get enough fuel, even with alky. The fact that yours is getting richer at higher rpm's may mean there is an airflow issue, like weak valvesprings, etc. Since you have a stock turbo, it's going to start losing efficiency at around 4800 anyway. I wonder if the stock turbo combined with your front mount is causing it to run out of cfm sooner? Have you tried running more boost?

Either way, I can take out some fuel in the 5000-5200 area to see what happens.

Ok, you're right, since that's a stock injector chip, the fuel is maxed by default. Usually I have to max it out to get enough fuel, even with alky. The fact that yours is getting richer at higher rpm's may mean there is an airflow issue, like weak valvesprings, etc. Since you have a stock turbo, it's going to start losing efficiency at around 4800 anyway. I wonder if the stock turbo combined with your front mount is causing it to run out of cfm sooner? Have you tried running more boost?

Either way, I can take out some fuel in the 5000-5200 area to see what happens.

The valvesprings could definitely be the problem... I have the new set but have yet to put them on. I have the boost maxed out, it won't push more than 21-22. Maybe because of the front mount, or maybe I have a slight header leak, or both even. I see 21-22 when I let the chip control it and I see about the same when I let my electronic controller control it. I don't know what your turn around time is as I have plans to goto the track on saturday so I would rather not rush you. I think I'd like to do the valvesprings and see if that corrects the issue rather than putting a band-aid on it only to have it too lean up top when I do get to the valvesprings. I'll most likely be on an ME-R soon anyway as I've been looking for an affordable closed loop WB correction setup. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll post a couple of logs on saturday after the track. Let's see how much timing these head gaskets can take... :)

...Unless you wanna email me the corrected .bin and I could flash it at home... :)