TTA still running like crap after turbo install...

TTAfreak

TA-49 installed. car wont build boost......and when going WOT the car will bog and then just shut down right before it shifts into 2nd gear.

have checked plug gap (set at .30)

im stumped. I simply removed the stock turbo, and bolted up this one. still using stock elbow and down pipe.

:confused:

Sounds like the intercooler hoses have a sizeable leak. Either that or the wastegate hoses are hooked up improperly.

John,

I guess I could have hooked those hoses up backwards by mistake.

at the Y, there is a long hose, and a short hose.

I thought the long hose went to the fitting on the housing and the short one to the actuator.

is this right or wrong? :)

Sounds like those are right: straight leg of Y to turbo, angled leg of Y to actuator.

I was speaking of the large intercooler hoses also. I had one that wasn't on snugly and leaked boost. If you can squeeze them much, that could be a problem to check.

John Larkin said:
Sounds like those are right: straight leg of Y to turbo, angled leg of Y to actuator.

I was speaking of the large intercooler hoses also. I had one that wasn't on snugly and leaked boost. If you can squeeze them much, that could be a problem to check.

checked the hoses you mentioned and they are all fine.

come on folks.....i need help here. i know im not the first to experience this.

if i cant figure it out soon, i know a nice, polished TA-49 with about a thousand miles on it you can get cheap.

;)

I had a friend that worked in the GM dealership back when these cars were new. He had a customer with a TTA that would not build much boost. They replaced the turbo and it did not correct the problem. They finally found the problem to be the flexible "joint" in the down pipe. The joint is double wall and the inside wall had collapsed choking off the exhaust and preventing boost. They replaced it and problem fixed. You may want to check yours. You may have caused it to collapse when you changed turbos. By the way I picked up his original turbo for the $70 core charge and ran it on my regal for several years with no problems. One of the few really good deals I ever got :) .