Tuning Help

kkash48

Hi all - newbie learning to tune, need some feedback as don't want to blow-up my car ;)

I ordered and received Eric's Turbo Tweak chip for Street 93 gas - and made the following adjustments:

1) Increased Fuel Pressure to 43 psi (with vacuum hose off)
2) Lengthened the Wastegate Rod (about 2 and 1/2 turns counter clockwise) to reduce boost and start out lower - not sure where it is at - I believe my aftermarket boost gauge jumped to 15-18ish
3) Changed the MAF Translator settings per chip instructions, leaving the Base and WOT to zero.

I then took the car out and attempted some WOT runs. My knock senser went all the way to RED and the scanmaster registered 820 / 4.9 .. pressing both buttons on the scanmaster showed .034 .034

My Scan Master readings at idle are:
O2 - 710 - 824
AF - 6
L8 - 40-42
Bat - 13.8-13.9
Int - 128
BL - 118
Clt 167
Ats - 78
TPS .38
IAC 19

Being new to this scene, I didn't register any WOT scanmaster readings (other than the one that was store in memory that I mentioned above as frankly was concerned with blowing something up.

Any suggestions based on the data provided above? Any safe way to adjust things without worrying about blowing something up? My car combo is in my signature (38 lb injectors, K&N Filter, Cat removed from exhaust, Hotwire kit, etc.)

Appreciate your time,
kkash

Tps is on the low end. Needs to be .42
An how much boost are you shooting for? Any alky.
what's the boost set at now.

Tps is on the low end. Needs to be .42
An how much boost are you shooting for? Any alky.
what's the boost set at now.

No Alky. The boost gauge showed 15-18ish when I let off the throttle .. shooting for 16-17 boost with no knock. Not sure of safe way to test what Max Boost is set at as if I WOT it again, afraid knock gauge will go max red again. I just lengthend the rod some more to lower it (from wherever it is at) just in case.

Last edited:
Check with Eric, he may suggest a tweak in the maf settings to get your BMs closer to 128. He did with me and it did the trick.

drop the boost from 18 to around 15 and make another wot 3rd gear pull.850 on the scanmaster usually means there is plenty of fuel 4.9 on the knock gauge means you probably need more octane.try and tune in the higher gear as hard shifts can trigger the knock gauge.

Thank you for the advice! You got a great point about the hard shifts making the knock gauge go crazy. Also, I am not sure if I adjusted the wastegate properly (yep, newbie) as I turned both screws to adjust, but am thinking I need to actually disconnect the rod and make a couple turns (counter clockwise looking at it from passenger side). Will make the adjustments, perform your recommended tests once I hit 3rd gear and post back. Appreciate the help everyone!

Anytime I make an adjustment to the waste gate rod I will always unhook the rod from the actuator.

This way you can move the waste gate by hand and make sure its moves nice and freely.....they can get build up rust and carbon and hang open or shut.....if it hangs shut then your gonna have an over boost issue no matter how much you adjust the rod.

Always make sure you twist the rod so you are making it longer......that's lowering the boost!

Good luck!

Since you're leanest MPH and your highest knock MPH both happened at 39MPH.... any chance you were smoking the tires at the time?

Thanks all. @earlbrown-no, wasn't smoking the tires at all.

Make changes that you folks recommended.
1) Adjusted TPS to .42
2) Increased the wastegate bar 4 - 5 turns.

Just ran a WOT run in 3rd gear as recommended. Boost gauge showed 15 PSI boost and NO KNOCK on the sensor.

Scanmaster showed .047 .047 when pressing both buttons.

Scanmaster idle settings now show:
O2 - 796
AF - 7
LB - 48
Bat - 13.7
INT - 118
BL - 118
Clt 168
ATS 117
TPS .42
IAC .28

Despite what the scanmaster showed (.047, .047) - is it safe now to start turning up the PSI one rotation clockwise until I see knock? (ex, 16, then 17?)

Thanks for all your help. Car idles much better with this Turbo Tweak chip as well!

Kkash.

Awesome feeling isnt it! After a run the recall is the right button only on the scanmaster. Hitting both buttons will recall the mph. Very nice feature to know when KR occured. SM records O2s and KR once 3\4 throttle is hit. I still think you should message Eric on the BLs. He ll tell you to switch a setting and it will run even better. 128 is the target # though you are within 10% which is okay.
Also if you want an informative read, go to vortexbuicks and read under tab of scan tool usage. It will enlighten you on what all the readings are.

Hi All - just reporting back - made the following changes:

1) TPS to .46
2) Change the Base on my MAF transaction to go 10% lean, which brought up the BL's from 105 to 120
3) Boost is a 17 psi
4) I added 2 gallons of 110 octane fuel (remainder of tank is 93) - Tank size is 18.1?

Car run's great and no knock at WOT in 3rd gear. I may just keep it here at 17psi.

Here are my scanmaster readings now.
O2 - 761-805
AF - 05
L8-37
Bat - 13.7-13.9
INT 128
BL 121
CLT 167
ATS 119
TPS .46
IAC 19-20

Thanks all for your valued advice!
Kkash

glad you have it running good now.in the future if you do see some kr in 3rd just go into the tt chip a few degrees of timing out.