Tuning with Otto

longball

I fought the lawn...
Finally. After close to 6 years, 3 motors, 4 turbos, 4 torque converters, 4 transmissions and God only knows
how many tens of thousands of dollars, the combo in my sig is pretty much up and running. Thanks to Otto.

After finally getting it all together in the fall the FAST box had to be sent in. Winter was here when things
were squared away. Tuning this year was giving me fits. Only had old tunes from a different engine and
had lots of problems dialing it in. Intermittent problems which are had to fix and lots of stalling.

Otto came up yesterday to help. Man, he had that thing purring in no time. What he can do in 15 minutes
I may never be able to do in a lifetime. Time for test/tune drive but the battery dies. Go get a new battery.
Put battery in - no start! Otto hooks up computer, all FAST readings are at max! Temps=255, TPS=100!
WTF!!! Unplug some sensors - sensors still reading 100% maxxed! Huh? Must be the FAST box again!

For shits & giggles Otto hooks up my old computer and tune - all FAST numbers - normal! Car won’t stay
running but a half hour of Otto working his magic - car is purring again! Otto started playing with the FAST
box and wiring - car would stutter and stall. Otto found the original installer of the FAST box had not
done it correctly. He solders a few connections and - wahla - no more intermittent problems. Otto kicks
ass!

Test drive - Otto dials it in on all driving conditions from idle to 75mph. Man was it purring. I think Otto
was even impressed! Then we smelled something burning! Pull over - tire rubbing on frame. My fault.
Didn’t check after installing - first drive. Member I bought them from had no problems. Me being an
optimist - no problems right? Wrong. That was all we had time for. I will switch tires and then have
Otto dyno tune it. YAY! :D

Thanks again, Otto!!! You are freakin’ AWESOME!!! :)

that sounds awesome!! I dont know Otto, but it sounds like i need to book him a plane ticket to Saint Louis to help get me squared away. Lol. Thats great to hear about your car though man!! Post some vids of the dyno session!!;)

I thought Otto had joined the FBI wittness protection program. ;) I'm glad you were able to find him. He's a good guy who really knows what he's doing and he'll go the extra mile for you.

Neal

[quote="I'm glad you were able to find him. He's a good guy who really knows what he's doing and he'll go the extra mile for you.Neal[/quote]

Yeah, that's hitting the nail on the head right here. I think the key is my valve covers say: "Otto's Performance, Milford, CT". He likes to take a peek
at them now and then. Course I always say, "Otto, you ain't peeking at nothing unless you take a peek at my tune first!" :rolleyes:

phil_jordan said:
that sounds awesome!! I dont know Otto, but it sounds like i need to book him a plane ticket to Saint Louis to help get me squared away. Lol. Thats great to hear about your car though man!! Post some vids of the dyno session!!;)

Thanks, Phil. Yeah, book Otto a ticket to Saint Louis. You would soon realize that's the best money you ever spent on your car! LOL :D

Otto is one of the few people I trust in the Buick Community. Always honest and helpful.

So.... is Otto back ?? He did a great job on my tranny and I wanted to take my car back for dyno tuning, but never made it back before he closed up shop.

I don't believe he is 'back', he is pretty busy in his non-buick life! :)

I think he helps a few friends out as time permits.

I sure as hell wish his shop didn't close!!! :eek: That hurt!

Update

We stopped tuning because the tire was rubbing too much. With an eye to the future we figured the best solution was a frame notch, mini-tub, and 6pt.roll cage from http://www.JWRacing-fab.com We also decided to do some suspension upgrades while we were at it. As Bobby said: “I can build you a motor that can run 10.20’s all day but can you get that power to the ground?”. With a stock 25+ yr.old suspension? No. Work should be finished this weekend then it is off for some ‘Dino’ tuning with Otto J J

frame notch.jpg
roll cage 2.jpg
suspension parts.jpg

roll cage.jpg