Turbo 400 or 200r4?

91Bird305

Have a choice of swapping transmissions. Wondering what the pros and cons of each of these would be for a low 11 high 10 second GN would be. The rear is a Dana 60 w/ 3:55 gears.

The sprag in the 400 is the weak link:rolleyes: and no OD, and it will need some billet stuff as well.
A friend and I just recently found out that the 400 has a specific way it needs to be operated to be gentle on the sprag. He bought it/did the swap thinking it would just handle what he could throw at it and he just lost his sprag (34 element) with less than 1.5 k on the car.Now this was due to his builder failing to mention teh sprag thing and honestly we didnt see anyone else mention it on the boards.

Things we found out that we were not aware of with the 400 that is now needed with it. Mind you my buds power level is low 10's/high 9's and has a reverse manual VB and transbrake.

A few new methods
2nd -3rd gear burnouts
Not being able to ratchet down to second and just stomp it when you want as in street racing and someone rolls up along side.
And there are other factors as well.

Call a good builder and ask him about the sprag and the do and donts/new driving style with the 400.

The 200 can hold at the power level you are asking about. And it needs to have good parts as well. The 200 will need freshening frictions wise vs. the 400 IMO

I would go with Lonnie Diers at Extreme automatics 513 898 0533 for either and call him for his advice as well. Just leave a message they'll call you back if they dont answer. They just merged with another business and the phone messsage may not say extreme automatics.

To be honest, it's a really tough call to make.

I have a decent 200R4 in my car and I absolutely LOVE cruising down the highway in OD. It makes the car so nice to drive around on the street.

The biggest thing that worries me is the lifespan. I just started turning-up the wick on my car... and already I feel like the trans isn't happy about it. The last time I had the car out on a hard run, the 1-2 shift wasn't as crispy-clean as usual. Now I'm almost afraid to lean on it more until I have the TH400 built.
I had a TH400 in my last GN... and loved it as much as the 200R4, but for different reasons. It sucked going down the highway without OD... but the trans was solid as a rock and shifted hard and crisp every time, regardless of how much power I put to it. Launching with the transbrake also makes it a helluva lot easier to stage and leave with a turbo car...

Ultimately, I will get one of my 400's in the car, just because I don't feel my 200R4 will live at the performance levels I intend to go. I sure will miss the OD though. :wink:

Melissa's GN still has the 200R4.. 15k on it and hasn't missed a beat .. 8k on it this summer. Car is driven HARD :cool: Yes she does have all the goodies in it.. We street drive way to much to loose OD and the LU 9/11 converter :cool: