Turbo Buick in Place of SBC

1987MCSSAeroCou

wants boost!
Hey everyone I have been lurking for a few days and am ready to start asking questions. So, here goes, what will I need from a GN or Turbo Regal to put the 3.8L turbo motor into my 1987 Monte Carlo? And how much do you think it will cost to do a swap like that (parts only no labor)?

Also, what cars are worthy of the term Darkside?

Thanks in adavance.

There are so many things you'd need to pull from a TR.
Anything that has wires hooked to it basically.
Dash wiring, Computer.
Advisable to use the drivers side inner fender (Plastic from TR) as the PS reservior hooks up to it.

You can keep the Vacuum Brake system from your MC. (and by many peoples standards it is advisable) In doing this.... You will need to get a Vacuum block that has the provision for PB. You can get that from Kirban's for about $34.

Not sure if the front crossmember is drilled for a Buick V-6 or not.
Transmission crossmember (if different than a TR), and preferably the trans from a TR.
Though a MCSS tranny should be able to be recalibrated or whatever it needs to be done to it to withstand the V-6s power.
Gas Tank. Fuel lines that can withstand high fuel pressures.

Cost...... How much do you wanna spend? Probably do it for around $3,000 or so.

Look for Engines from an 86-87 TR.
They are the TRs that you could refer to as the "Darkside" at least they are in my opinion.
I'll catch hell for saying that. But it is my opinion and being that I am the first to respond to your questions. I beleive I'm entitled to voice my opinions about it. Reason on my opinion is the 86-87 engines are intercooled.
More HP than a Hot air per stock. More parts to deal with but. Goes with the territory.

An Aerocoupe MCSS is kinda rare is it not?

Anyway.
I hope I helped you on your quest for info.

If you need more info on turbo Regals....
Click on the link below. And Good luck.

http://www.gnttype.org./

Welcome to the board!

Moving this to the "Tech Section". :)

Good luck to you on your possible swap!

Yes the Aerocoupe is one of the rarest Montes. I'm not sure about the front X-member, it should be set up to recieve a chevy v-6. Any other thoughts about the "Darkside"? I was thinking of using a standalone Fuel Managment system, I know they are expensive, but in the long run would be advantagous, also would probably remove power steering, Is that possible on a TR (I know people do it on montes all the time)?

My car has an updated 200-4R tranny with some GN parts I believe, will I have to switch torque converters going to the V-6?

Basically the BEST way to do this is to get a wrecked and rusted out hulk of an 86-87 Turbo Buick. You'll need most of the fuel system, engine electronics, rearend, and a few million other pieces not mentioned.

I plan this same swap for my SS in a year or so... and yes it'll cost you $3000ish for the parts car. But, you'll need to spend about another $1000-2000 on updates and refreshing (depending on mileage and abuse). I'll just need the engine and some larger fuel lines as I have everything else.

The "Darkside" is really just for Turbo Buicks or Turbo Buick powered vehicles. It MOSTLY applies to those loser Grand National owners who think that they are the most sinister of all. Bah! (J/K :D)

HTH,

Originally posted by 1987MCSSAeroCou
Yes the Aerocoupe is one of the rarest Montes. I'm not sure about the front X-member, it should be set up to recieve a chevy v-6. Any other thoughts about the "Darkside"? I was thinking of using a standalone Fuel Managment system, I know they are expensive, but in the long run would be advantagous, also would probably remove power steering, Is that possible on a TR (I know people do it on montes all the time)?

My car has an updated 200-4R tranny with some GN parts I believe, will I have to switch torque converters going to the V-6?

Your 2004R would be Chevy bolt pattern wouldn't it?

Originally posted by RealFastV6
Your 2004R would be Chevy bolt pattern wouldn't it?

Nope. They are all universal from 83-87... before that they were ALL BOP units.

The 2004R transmissions have bothe sets of bolt holes I believe. I know there are two sets of holes and I think the Chevy 4.3L V-6 and the 305 V-8 both used the same holes, which leads me to believe it has the holes for the buick motor on it.

(So I've been through three Monte's, so what?)

I put the Buick 6 into my '80 El-Camino and had very little trouble. The holes for the motor mounts are already drilled in the crossmember, just drop the lower control arms to get a wrench on the nuts. I used the Buick instument panel, it bolted right up to the firewall. You don't have to use the Buick IP, but you will definitely need the right Vehicle Speed Sensor. This swap is about as straightforward as you could ask for. The floorpan in the g-bodies is identical, as is the firewall. The inner fenders from the buick are not usable in this swap due to the two piece design of the Buick fenders. The engine wire harness is seperate from the harness for the rest of the car, and you need all the sensors that plug into it. the computer should mount in the pass. side kick panel or, like I did, you could mount it behind the glove box. I reccomend finding a rusty or totalled car and keeping it around till the swap is complete.