Turbo dyno sheet question.

F8L Z71

I am having a problem figuring out why my dyno #s are soooo flat.

I am working with an STS turbo kit and it has worked great so far but it is still in the learning stages for high HP #s since these kits were originally designed for quick bolt-on power and not running high boost.

If you look at my sheet we started the run at about 4000rpm to keep it from downshifting into 2nd. My power and TQ shoot right up to 4400rpm then form there I pretty much max out. I only have about a 36rwhp difference from the time I hit full boost at 4.4K till reline at 6.7k. That seems a lil odd to me. Shouldn't I have made more HP as RPM raised then start to drop off somewhere?

My truck is a 5.3L @ 9.5:1 compression. 226/220-.591/.554-116 cam. Long Tube headers, stock 2.5" exhaust back to the turbo and a 2' long 3" pipe out of the turbo. Dyno run was on 13psi, 18deg of timing and spraying alcohol to cool down the 160deg intake charge that we saw rigth before the Alky spray. My turbo is a GT35 61mm/68mm.

The turbo seems to be big enough or I would be dropping power fast in the upper rpms but I think the exhaust housing might be too small and not letting me make more peak power. I know it's not a Buick but I figured you turbo gurus might have some ideas since a motor is a motor for the most part.

STS Z71 Dyno Sheet

That is kind of a small turbo for 5.3 liters. I can only assume that turbo spools VERY quickly with those cubic inches!!

Originally posted by Taffy
That is kind of a small turbo for 5.3 liters. I can only assume that turbo spools VERY quickly with those cubic inches!!

I just got done talking to one of the guys on TurboMustangs.com and he was really helpful and said the same thing. He said I should run a T70 on the 5.3L or if I am upgrading to the 6.0L that T76 would be best. Funny but that's exactly what that 6.0L 10sec 4x4 runs :)

Guess I need an upgrade!