turbo endplay question and suggestions for combo

turbo9

I'm new the game GN here, so bear with me...

I'm doing a complete engine rebuild on the '87 I just purchased, and while tearing it down i discovered the turbo has a ton of endplay (so much that it's digging into the housing on the intake side). When I purchased the car the previous owner told me the car had recently had a new turbo installed (about 5,000 miles ago). The model number on the housing tag reads: TRO448.

First, can you tell if this is a stock turbo from this tag?

Is there anyway the turbo can be shimmed to remove the endplay? (I realize I will have to clean up the inside of the housing and replace the rotor if this is done)

If it is necessary to replace the turbo, what would you recomend for a replacement, and any suggestions for vendors? (I want to keep a fairly stock appearance, and i would like to upgrade. Currently i've got a stock converter, but i'll probably be upgrading this winter. I'm installing a mildly larger than stock cam)

I also found the car has a cracked head and have decided to upgrade rather than have it welded. Any suggestions for a ported iron head? (I'm looking at champions)

Any thing else you would suggest to have done while I've got everything torn down? Other than gauges, an aftermarket fuel pump, and K&N filter i't pretty stock right now.

thanks,
-ryan

ps
Anyone here ever race at the Greatlakes Drag Strip in Union Grove, WI?

How fast do you want to go in the future? No point in getting champions if you dont want to go faster then say mid to low 11's. Also how much boost do you want to run?
I would say with a stock converter you want something in the TA49/TE44 range, or you could go a little bigger with a PT52 but that should really have a looser converter

http://gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/turboguide.html

I can't tell you what the turbo is by that stamping, but maybe the link above will help. www.gnttype.org has an enormous amount of tech help along with some performance recipes.

John Craig at Limited Engineering (928)-453-7321 is the best in the business as far as I'm concerned with regard to turbos. He stands behind his work & can also answer any turbo question you throw at him. Give him a call.:)

With regards to the heads, opinions vary. The Champions are a popular choice. Part of that may be the limited choices we have in the TR community. There's probably quite a list of good head porters. One of the ones that frequents this board & has extensive personal experience on different head designs, & TR's in general, is Nick Micale. Others may offer their own suggestions.:)

I'll paste Nick's addy for you in case you want to talk to him & get his advice. Good luck.:)
Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908
arizonaGN@earthlink.net
www.ArizonaGN.com