Turbo Link Readings, Running Lean Suggestions?

buickrob

Fixed the computer issues I was having from my + battery cable hitting the right side header. Took the car out for a little testing and here is what I came up with

At Idle
IAC 27
LV8 35
TPS .48
02 Volts 750
MAF 10
BLM 124

4625 rpm in 2nd gear
IAC 111
LV8 255
TPS 4.56
Integrator 128
02 Volts 35 :rolleyes:
MAF 255
BLM 128
02 Delta 0
.5 degrees of knock retard on one screen

Did a run in 3rd gear too but didn't get to write it down. it was about 4900 RPM in 3rd and the numbers were very similar to the 2nd gear numbers above. 02 volts were still very low and I hit 2 degrees of knock on one screen. TPS was 4.76, guess I was pushing harder.

Running 100% denatured Alky through an SMC progressive. Comes on around 7 psi and maxes around 20. Fuel pressure is 43 lbs static and I'm running a TT alky chip.

Think it's my 02 sensor? Could I really run that lean at WOT and barely get any knock?

So what do you think, throw more fuel at it with the chip or turn up the fuel pressure at the regulator?

Thanks guys!

No.... no way it could be that lean with no knock, running strong. Are the other frames at WOT showing the low O2s? O2 cross counts are zero, but if I'm not mistaken, they don't count any more once you hit PE? Are the cross counts ok under cruise conditions? REALLY makes you wish you had faster data logging because you miss everything at 1 frame every 1.5 secs. I'm pretty sure the TT chip locks the INT/BLM at 128 WOT, so that doesn't tell you anything either. If there are more frames with the low O2's, I'd change the sensor and see what you got.... and be conservative on it until your sure of the tune. Also, tweak the idle TPS down a hair to .42-.44.... .48 is right on the edge of the ecu not thinking it's in an idle condition, and you have plenty of TPS WOT.

Thanks Brian. Yeah, the other frames have low 02s also at WOT. Cross counts were up cruising around. I'll drop the TPS tomorrow and throw in a new 02 sensor.

You're right, I do need to upgrade my scan tool.

I used dos based Turbolink for years... still have it, and it works great for diagnosing and verifying things, but I switched to DirectScan and it's like night and day. I would like to attribute your low O2's to an errant frame or two on TL, as I've had that type of thing happen pretty often to me, but if they are consistantly that low, you must have a sensor or wire problem.... assuming the car is seemingly running great. You don't have any exhaust leaks do you? They can throw the O2's way off....

Definitely have an exhaust leak where the DP goes into the cat, think that'll do it? I'll do the funnel and hose trick to see if I've got any other leaks going on.

I'm wondering if I might be putting too much alky in and it is igniting in the exhaust? Read that on another thread and with my alky set to come on at 7 and max at 20 maybe its too much since I'm only running 21 psi.

I wouldn't think a leak that far down could affect it, but I could be wrong. I'd swap the sensor and see what happens. I don't know about the alky, other than I want some... :biggrin: . If the new sensor reads the same, maybe turn the boost down and turn off the alky and see if that changes anything??

I wouldn't think a leak that far down could affect it, but I could be wrong. I'd swap the sensor and see what happens. I don't know about the alky, other than I want some... :biggrin: . If the new sensor reads the same, maybe turn the boost down and turn off the alky and see if that changes anything??

I'm going to swap the sensor out today and I'll post up what I find.

No local parts stores had our 02 sensor in stock so I'll order up a Delco. I did pull the plugs and changed to 42's from 43's. The plugs looked good though. I also pulled the 02 sensor and it had a lot of, what looked like, white ash on it. Not sure what that's about because I never run any additives/octane boost to my fuel. Maybe the alky, I'm running Home Depot "Kleen Strip" Denatured Alky. I changed my max point to 25psi on my progressive controller.

Can't do much though until I get the sensor.