Turbo redesign for a carb turbo system

Please help me peice my puzzle peices together need more boost fast,What exactly do i need to get my puzzle peices in order...;) 301 turbo ect...right

Now for the rest of the info about the waste gate Jim. There are 3 ways to go as far as the waste gate. Use the stock 86-87 waste gate but you still have to fab a down pipe. Easiest,yes.
The next way is to use an after market mount and fab the waste gate for internal. I took some pics from JRC Racing so you'll get a better idea.
The third is to go external. You have to fab a down pipe and waste gate attachment plus pipes but I think it's going to be the best idea overall. A little more expensive but boost issues will be no problem and with any of these you can run a boost controller to keep your car out of trouble. Since the up pipe is right there you have an easy acess area to put the tubes in for the waste gate as well as the fact that servicing everything would be easier.

Attachments

• 3DPF_006sm.jpg
    3DPF_006sm.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 533
  • DPF-EXTWG.jpg
    DPF-EXTWG.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 533
I do know that the '86-'87 turbine wheel is not the same size as a drawthru wheel width wise and the '86-'87 turbine wheel don't fit in a drawthru turbine housing. keep on checking

I do know that the '86-'87 turbine wheel is not the same size as a drawthru wheel width wise and the '86-'87 turbine wheel don't fit in a drawthru turbine housing. keep on checking

Kinda lost me on that Adam.:confused: I'm using the 86-87 wheel and housing off the exhaust side and the housing and wheel off the 301 design for the intake. As far as bearings, center, and seals I'm using a stock set for the 78-83 turbos. All of them are basically the same T3 design other than some ribbing cast into the later ones.

I've got 1 other housing I'd love to use but I have no exhaust wheel and don't know what it's off of. It's a 4 bolt inlet with a much bigger outlet but a slightly smaller wheel and it's the same AR as the 86-87 design. Sure wish I knew what it was.

I have one like that maybe it's the same. It's from a DSM first gen talon or eclipse.

Well the 86-87 housing is a M3 design and the other one is an M4 housing. Check the housing # and see what you find. It looks like a little better design from what I can tell of it.

Kind of Kitt. The other housing I have is off an eclipse so it's 1 more exduce housing we can use as well. I don't have a wheel for it so I'll have to use the 86-87 housing and wheel. Other than that not much to add at the moment.

It's nice to see someone DOING something. I don't think "can't or won't" is in your vocabulary Charlie. It's nice to see.

Keep it up, I am following this.

Cool Dan. Glad to see one of the SFI guys is interested in the little brothers for a change. Not that Jesse's input hasn't been helpful after all. I may get kicked but I'm not out yet.

Great to see a compressor map for the carbed turbochargers, I searched and searched for them.
I must mention though, that I thought that even the carbed turbos still had the t4 compressor wheels. Are these just approximately similar to what the carb cars had or did they actually have t3 wheels? given the size difference it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Welcome aboard. According to Garret all of the factory Buicks and the TTA's had T3 turbos. If you want to send me a PM with your email I'll send you whichever maps you want.
The whole idea of doing this project is to update the design for better use of the combo. There's one other little thing that I haven't included with this so far. I'm working on a slightly different header design to help move the exhaust speed faster. I'm not going to be more specific at the moment because there's still a lot of R&D to do but it looks like a winner for our cars and the HA guys. When I get done with it I'll post the design and results. If it works out the way it looks like right now I'm going to patent it so no one can steal it. That way if a company wants to make them they have to go through me first. However, if someone wants to make them as a single I won't worry about it.

Great work charli,just a newby following your work.Really like your ideas on HA headers.
I have a 85 tr (turbo riv).your work on the 301ta has really hooked me.would that fit my housing?

The design for the HA turbo is a little different but you could modify the 301TA housing to fit if you decided to. You'd need to cut the foot off and weld the one off of your original onto it. That is pretty much it if you decide to do it and it's much bigger so you shuld be able to make it work.

Had a real nice suprise last week guys. Jerry Berger SR is a machinist and a fellow Buick lover. He sent me an email and offered to do the work on the inducer. He sent me pics tonight and it looks great. Thought I'd share some of his work and say thanks to him at the same time.:biggrin:

I thought I'd add something that I probibly should have when I posted the maps at the top of the page. You may not know how to read one but if you follow the 2.6 pressure line accross each one of the maps as well as look at the RPM levels of the turbo you'll see why this is a great update. The LBS of air at flow speed is the biggest difference. Both the 83 turbo and the 86-87 flow about the same but at different RPM levels. If you look at the TTA map you'll notice the biggest differences. The TTA turbo flows almost 10 more pounds of air and it's at a lower RPM level so the heating of the intake charge is much less than with the stock turbo. This means with the same wheel speed you should see an increase of 25 to 30 pounds of air over the stock turbo.

Attachments

• turbo feet.jpg
    turbo feet.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 373
  • milling base.jpg
    milling base.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 382
  • more work done.jpg
    more work done.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 383
  • turbo work.jpg
    turbo work.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 383
That is awesome Charlie. Progress Looks super

LOL You should know to wait at least 20 minutes before you add something Adam.:biggrin: I had to add something after you posted so you may want to take a look again.:smile:

A little more from Jerry. Looks great for sure.:eek::biggrin: Thanks again Jerry. I owe you big time.:biggrin:

Attachments

• more work done 1.jpg
    more work done 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 357
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 362
  • finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 362