Turbo redesign for a carb turbo system

You might as well find another compressor cover too. that once has done been chewed up

Or uh find a Holset wheel that fits the turbine shaft and get the compressor cover you have now machined to fit the wheel, then get it all balanced.

Oops.

would i be able to get a 87 turbos wheel machined to work in that housing? would a machine shop know how to do that for me? i also have a question for charlie, that machine shop you told me about what do they do for $100; do they make the foot bigger or do i have to do that myself?:confused:

i just want to make it clear with everyone, i bought the turbo like that i didnt do it myself. sorry for the extra post but do you know what year turbo wheel would be close to fit that turbo.

here are some pics of the housing. IF ANYONE HAS A EXTRA 301 COMPRESSOR BLADE TELL ME I MIGHT WANT TO BUY IT FROM YOU.

You're gonna have to wait until Aj posts what he's found out. The housing will have to be remachined for a new wheel so it will work properly Matt. Sorry but I hope you didn't pay to much for it.

Here is the link, maybe???, not bad for a turbo w/new center section. IMO
Pontiac Trans Am Turbocharger Turbo 1980 Trans Am : eBay Motors (item 330392413024 end time Jan-14-10 17:28:16 PST)

I had posted a link to your build on this turbo from the inliners forum.
My bad.:cool:

Yes, that's the link I was talking about. As far as the inliners linkback, it's not a problem, it's an honor in a mannor of speaking. The fact that I can help someone else make power is great but I hope that the 301 turbo doesn't become extenct because of this thread.:eek:

I hope that the 301 turbo doesn't become extenct because of this thread.:eek:

I really do not think anyone there is interested in a draw through set-up.

But I have tried to get guys to install a draw through set-up for low $$$

So far I had helped (info wise) one guy install a used Buick GN turbo for a blow through set-up 2bbl carb. Worked pretty good until the turbo let go,had an oiling issue.:cool:

here are some pics of the housing. IF ANYONE HAS A EXTRA 301 COMPRESSOR BLADE TELL ME I MIGHT WANT TO BUY IT FROM YOU.

that cover is trashed.

I will still trade you my good cover and wheel if you send me yours to see if I can save it.

is there something wrong with that? ive asked you like 10 times already.

A.j.

that cover is trashed.

I will still trade you my good cover and wheel if you send me yours to see if I can save it.

is there something wrong with that? ive asked you like 10 times already.

A.j.

o no i just didn't understand what you where saying. i will trade you my housing for your good housing and blades.
give me an address and i will send it out when i can. i will give you my address so you can send me your good housing and blades.

i just want to make this clear i am trading my 301 housing for your 301 turbo good housing and 301 turbo blades right? :confused:

dr_frankenstein send me your address and i will send you my 301 housing and you send me your good 301 housing and 301 blades.
pm has already been sent with same message.

I think I know where one of these top secret Turbos is at......:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I wouldn't call them "top secret" Ronnie, just better after all.:biggrin: Nice talking to you and I'll see about getting some of that "refreshment" to you and Shane in the next couple of weeks. Just don't use it unless you're at home please.:eek::biggrin:

is the stock turbo a t3. will the bearings and all the rebuild stuff for a 231 setup work for the 301. i am posting this question here for you charlie. it is also in 83 turbo post.

The bushings and the turbine sealing ring are the same as well as the carbon seal, But I'm not sure about the thrust bushing. Might be the same tween Buick and the Pontiac turbo's.

is the stock turbo a t3. will the bearings and all the rebuild stuff for a 231 setup work for the 301. i am posting this question here for you charlie. it is also in 83 turbo post.

All of the T3 turbos use journal bearings and are the same size (center section). I'f I'm wrong some one please correct me because I want to put the correct info for everyone. The differences are the seals that are used for the inducer housing. It's an O ring and you may have to get a different one if you don't have the right one. Just make sure it's fuel safe and you should be fine.

Neither one of those have the carbon seals our cars use Matt. I'll send you a link to the one I'm going to be using. $80 shipped and free polishing and balancing of the shaft and wheel.